whats that white stuff?

So me and my fiancee were talking during dinner and he was telling me about how he was watching some birthing show and when they showed the baby it had white stuff all over it..he asked me what it was but i have no idea...i was just curious if anyone else knew what it was? And what it does>?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i THINK its the "sac" the baby is in when they are inside of you. i was reading some birthing stories online about home births and this doctor got there and he said that the baby was laying on the bed, between the moms legs under the sheet with the sac still around it, for NINE minutes without being able to breath, and luckily he tore open the sac and the baby was BLUE!! after about another minute or so the baby started breathing on its own.
    but i think its the sac. ill try and look it up some more if you want me to =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 7:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• it is called vernix. some babies have more than others. it protects their skin from being exposed to the amniotic fluid for so long.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 8:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2009