Spanking?

What are your feelings on spanking? Is it always wrong, useful in some situations, etc?

(I believe in spanking when a child is directly defying your rules and expectations. Not when they are forgetful, or just being a kid.)

Annabel1809Lee

Asked by Annabel1809Lee at 7:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I believe in spanking. If a kid knows what they're doing is wrong, a swat on the butt is in order. I do not believe in hitting the face, or spanking with anything other than the hand. I also wouldn't spank a bare butt.

I prefer time outs, but sometimes a kid needs a spanking. JMO
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 7:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i agree with toriandgrace, to a point. i do spank a bare butt, but not all the time. only when my son KNOWS he did something wrong and he was already told more than once not to do it, that day.
    it depends on the situation, but i dont believe it should be used EVERY time. or even close to it, unlike my SO. but thats why we try to leave the discipline, and everything else basically, up to me =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 7:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I spank, bare butts, hands, and very rarely the mouth. (the mouth has only happened twice, but he needed it!) I only use my hand, and I always remain calm! He knows he's done wrong and he knows the punishment. Of course he gets a time out or sent to his room first, and if those don't work then he gets a spanking.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 7:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I just haven't had a reason to spank my son - I have too many discipline options to need to fall back on something that I feel does not teach respect for the body or the person.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I think there are other options that could work better if done consistently, but I dont think it's wrong for a parent to spank their kids unless it's done out of anger.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 7:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• no kids yet , due in November.

I will talk it out with my son/daughter (not sure what I am having yet lol )
    rather than spank/ I just don't think its right same w/ my dh
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 7:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I believe in spanking......but I dont think it does any good It only hurts for a minute then its over. Grounding, I think is better because its a reminder of what they did wrong.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 8:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I've tried time outs, and by the time I get him to sit in time out, he forgets what he's there for. He gets 2 warnings, the second warning I tell him if he does it again he will get his butt smacked. There's a really great book entitled "The Strong-Willed Child" written by Dr. James Dobson. It's a Christian based book, but I got a lot out of it without the Christian message. (Mind you, it was written in the 70's so some of it needs to be modified for the 2000's)
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i believe in spanking..but only as a last resort
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i endorse spanking. but nothing serious. and not for minor offences
    LotusBlossom21

Answer by LotusBlossom21 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2009