Does making your own bread really save money?

I'm sure it would taste better, but does anyone do it regularly? Is it cheaper or worth the hassle?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My mom has a bread machine and she was making bread pretty regularly. The cost wasn't cheaper, but it was sure tastier.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 7:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I do it regularly because I have the supplies on hand, but if I didn't it would not save money. I does when I make specialty breads like french bread or foccacia but not for regular bread.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 7:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• It does if you keep the ingredients on hand all the time, but it can get kind of old doing it all the time. I have a bread machine, and I make our own bread. But every now and then (like right now) I just buy a few loaves at the store. It gets old having to slice the bread every day to make the kids lunches. I always use it to make homemade garlic bread, french bread, cuban bread, dinner rolls, stuff like that. It also depends on how much bread you use. I was having to make like 2 loaves a week.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• If you are buying the ingredients to make just one loaf of bread, it can get more expensive than just buying the preservative-laden unhealthy stuff. BUT if you plan on making your own bread a lot, it would really benefit you to buy flour and yeast in bulk. I buy 50 lb. bags of flour for 17.00 and yeast for $5/lb. I can get a LOT of bread out of those two things, with just a bit of salt/sugar/oil added, and I can even add my own things like flaxseed, sunflower seeds, oatmeal, etc. I figured it out once, and with today's prices it cost me less than 50 cents a loaf for the ingredients to make my bread. I use my bread machine to make the dough and then shape it myself and let it rise and bake in a regular bread pan. I usually have to make more than one loaf because my family will wolf down a whole loaf in an afternoon. I'm happy to share my recipes if you are interested!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I buy bred flour in a 40 pound sack and yeasy by the pound. I do NOT have a machine. for specialrolls and stuff I make it but I buy 1$ a loaf for sliced bread because the preservatives help it last. home made is only good fresh.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I have a bread machine; otherwise I would not do it. I can make a loaf of organic whole grain bread for less than half of the grocery store price.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2009