My 3 1/2 yr old is in big girl panties and pees in the potty but won't poop in it!!

I don't know what to do. She's getting the peeing down we've only been at it 2 1/2 days so far and she's only had a couple of pee accidents but she won't poop in the potty when she's wearing her big girl panties. I refuse to go back to pull-ups I'm afraid it'll cause regression. What can I do to get her to tell us she needs to poop before she goes? I've tried a few different things but nothing seems to work. And once she's fully trained she gets a big girl trike so she has motivation... HELP!

kandm_mama

Asked by kandm_mama at 7:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is very normal, and one of the rare times to use bribery. If she poops on the potty five times in a row (use a reward chart), give her a present, like fluffy princess slippers. Let her see the present, keep in out of reach, like on top of the refrigerator.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Don't stress #1, #2 she's not the only one! My son is almost 3 and he's potty training as well. He was doing awesome until he saw his daddy staning up to pee, now he does it all standing!!! #3 Your not doing anything wrong! Try sitting with her or get her to come to the bathroom with you when you go stinky. My sister also has the same problem with her 2 year old, she absolutely refused to go stinky in the potty, she waited for a pull up. I understand your fear of regression and suggest you follow her lad for a bit and see what happens. If you don't mind cleaning hold off on the pull ups!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 8:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• notice the signs when she has to go poop then sit her on the toilet. it took my daughter a while to start going poopy in the toilet. give her privacy too that helps
    Alina456

Answer by Alina456 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I would recommend not making a big deal of it when she poos in her panties and praise her for doing big girl things such as drawing with markers or dressing herself. Plenty of positive attention for positive behavior and zero attention for negative behavior should help get ger back on track. Don't act mad, sad or anything else. Just say something like "That's alright, we'll keep trying.", put her in a fresh pair and move on. Something cheap and easy that can help is buying some plain panties and letting her decorate them herself with the acrylic paints you can buy in the craft section at wal-mart. I need not say this activity needs to be closely supervised, LOL..it comes off of hands easily but walls and things...not so much. She will hesitate messing up her artistic underpants :)
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 9:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• dont give her attention about it. tell her shes ok. then start a reward system and tell her when she poos in the potty this (whatevver you reward ) will happen.
    LotusBlossom21

Answer by LotusBlossom21 at 10:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2009