Bullied to death.. Did you hear about this?

A 11 year old boy in GA.. killed himself. B/c, of being bullied at school. His mom was sayin on CNN that she had complained and so did her son. What do u think. I belive the school should be held resp in some kind of way. That story breaks my heart. He was teased b/c, he was from another place and had a accent. I hope My kids will never bully anyone, I pray I will not teach them to hate. I know I wont but, I feel awful hearing this story... what do u think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• As someone who was bullied and sexually harrassed at that age by boys my age & older, on the bus and at school, I can tell you that nothing my mother ever taught me would have applied in those situations and eleven year olds lack the emotional experience to handle stuff like that. For you to blame the boy and his mother is heartless, cruel, demeaning, ad guess what? There but for the grace of God go you.
    yogapantz

Answer by yogapantz at 7:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It's happening more and more, as we get laxer as parents.
    Anonymous

• Mom should've complained higher up, documented everything, etc. She should have switched schools. The school cannot take all the blame. I know a mom shouldn't have to do that but at the same time both could have done more
    Anonymous

• Bullies should be completely kicked out of school. IF a child is caught bullying they should be given the "three strike rule". Then out they go if they do not obey. Its so ridiculous that schools and parents say "oh their just being kids" MY ASS.
    Anonymous

• I have a 11 year old boy and he was bulled on the bus alot. The school knew about it.. was just a bad group of kids on the bus. A few parents were complaining.. nothing was done. I have to take my kid to school and pick him up. He was spit on and stuff . Kids r mean as hell these days... i feel bad for the mother of this child. She is not to blame and I hope she sues everyone involved.
    Anonymous

• Its unfortunate that there are mean and rotten parents out there and their behavior rubs off on their kids. Than their kids come out into the world (school) and meet with your kids. Than problems starts...(bullying)
    Anonymous

• It seems that schools don't do hardly ANYTHING when a child is bullied. Reporting it usually only gets the kids seperated in class MAYBE and that's it. I do think the school should be somewhat held responsible for being aware of the problem and not doing more to stop it. However I doubt they will be. I also think the mother is somewhat at fault. How can you not realize that this bullying is driving your own child to suicide? She should have kept up until the problem was resolved or last resort moved her child to another school. I would think, especially with an 11 year old child, that it would be somewhat obvious if they were suicidal.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

I agree.
    Anonymous

• I uderstand bullies are somewhat to blame for the boys state of mind.....however in the end the boy took his life. This shows that he was feeling lost, hopeless, alone.....all these things we can help our child with as a parent. I personally dont care what it would take I would do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING as a parent to prevent my child from feeling like taking her life was her only option.
    Anonymous

• And I also agree with the poster who suggested the 3 strike rule. If a child is complained about 3 times by a student or parent than they should be suspended or expelled. So many kids have such horrible school experiences because of bullies and everyone just seems to sit by and let it happen.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2009