my son has a 10 year old half brother and i really dont like him and dont even want him around my son. now my boyfriend who is both of their fathers doesnt know how i feel about his son. is there anyone else out there who might have the same problem. what should i do?

michele101183

Asked by michele101183 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• you need to elaborate. does he have behavior probs?
    whats the issue?
    it is not fair to keeo brothers from eachother
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Get over your attitude. Is it fair to take this kids brother or father away from him??
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Why don't you like him, why don't you want him around your son? Honestly, I think it's horrible to keep half brothers from each other. Whether you like him or not, he is still your son's brother, and your son has the right to know him and decide for himself (when he is old enough) if he wants a relationship with his brother. If he has legit problems that concern you, then you need to address them with his father, and encourage him/them to seek help if it's needed. But, in all honesty, if I was with someone and they told me they didn't want my kids around a kid we had together, that would be the end of the relationship. So, you really need to decide if keeping your son's brother away from him is worth potentially keeping his own father away from him?
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I have to agree with the other posters. You may want to take a look at yourself and ask why you have such a beef with a 10 yr. old. Kids will be kids. But they need adults around to love and support them. Just because he may be acting out doesn't mean he deserves for you to despise him.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 9:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• It's probably not the kid you don't like but his behavior that bothers you. He can't help how he's being raised but you can take it upon yourself to be a good role model to both boys. You can do it! Don't give up :)
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 9:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Get over it! They are BROTHERS and if you keep them apart because you don't like him, that makes you a bad person. You are the adult and you should be the one to find out why you have such a problem with him. He is a child and needs love, patience and understanding, just like your son.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• What happened to being married to the person you love forever and having children after you are married. I have been married 30 years and have 3 sons. Those of use who can actually do this do not have these problems.
    Anonymous

• Depending on what is bothering you about his son, you should probably tell your boyfriend your concerns. How old is your son? I completely understand not wanting your son exposed to bad behavior. If that is the problem, your boyfriend needs to sit his son down and lay down the rules (because I've always read the stepparent shouldn't be the one to discipline). Assuming behavior is why you don't want the two kids together I completely understand why you would feel this way. I agree with Tessa to show him the right way to live. We are going through something similar over here. My stepson (3) is being raised very wrong and gets away with hitting, spitting and yelling at his mom's house. He and my 2 year old daughter are held to the same standard adn while he is at our house he is a compeltely different well behaved child. I am trying to be a good influence on him and create positive memories everytime I am given the chance
    Anonymous