12/21/12 "2012" Movie Overpromotion, Another Y2K, or is there something to it.

I just came across a trailer for 2012 and it tells you to google 2012 at the end. Well one website http://www.december212012.net/index.shtml is weird.
Is this something else to make us try and be irresponsible shoppers and horde food and water with no real danger or do you believe ther is something to all the hype??

Tygermommanikki

Asked by Tygermommanikki at 8:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Actually it has to do with a most natural occurrence. Our sun goes through a cycle every 11 years. This is due to occur in 2012. The Sun's magnetic poles will remain as they are now, with the north magnetic pole pointing through the Sun's southern hemisphere, until the year 2012 when they will reverse again. This transition happens, as far as we know, at the peak of every 11-year sunspot cycle -- like clockwork. Meridional flows on the Sun's surface carry magnetic fields from mid-latitude sunspots to the Sun's poles," explains Hathaway. "The poles end up flipping because these flows transport south-pointing magnetic flux to the north magnetic pole, and north-pointing flux to the south magnetic pole." The dipole field steadily weakens as oppositely-directed flux accumulates at the Sun's poles until, at the height of solar maximum, the magnetic poles change polarity and begin to grow in a new direction.
    Msaural

Answer by Msaural at 10:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• With Obama's term ending shortly after 12/21/12, the world (as we have known it) just might come to an end!
    Anonymous

• The first two options.
    Yes, it is a movie promotion, but there is also serious speculation from some people that the world will actually end in 2012..
    Personally, I think it's just a bunch of hyped up b.s. similar to Y2K. The only thing I'm worried about is mass hysteria on the parts of thousands of gullible people.
    Anonymous

• It's the end of the Mayan calendar (which is very accurate to date) and the Winter Solstice (the alignment of Earth, Sun, and the center of our universe)... There are many, many 2012 doomsday prophecies. I believe none of them.
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 8:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• This has nothing to do with Obama. My friend told me two yrs ago to get a deep freezer or two to prepare for this and this is the first I've heard since she tole me about it. I just thought she was crazy...
    Anonymous

• I think on 12/22/12 we can all file a class action suit when we're still here
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• It's when the Mayan calendar ends, so people think the world is going to end then.

Anonymous

• More ridiculous hype
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• The world as we know it will end, non-stop. That's why they phrase it 'as we know it'. Hell, the world as we knew it ended when Bush was no longer in office, right? When you have a baby, your world as you know it ends. Doesn't mean the actual world ends. Some things are just nuts, some are based on true things. But if the world is going to end, a couple of deep freezers won't help you!!
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• IMO it's hype - plain and simple.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2009