confused about contractions..?

Probably a stupid question..which is why i put it anonymous =)
what does a contraction feel like? i have heard that i will just KNOW when it's happening, is that true? I keep reading all of these magazines that are talking about braxton hicks, but as far as I know I haven't felt anything like that. Do most people get them? Or is it just something that you may or may not experience(the braxton hicks, of course, not the regular contractions lol)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• its just your abb muscles getting really tight. sometimes it just makes it awkward and sometimes they can be painful (imagine doing a ton of crunches and how sore your abbs can get, and a little short of breathe) everyone gets them but they become more obvious the closer you get to your due date. you wil though, you will KNOW. im 7 months and im just now feeling the contractions...
    trystons_mommy

Answer by trystons_mommy at 8:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• for me- i didnt feel contractions really. my first few contractions made my tummy feel funny and tighten. i was induced and started having contractions the night before. by the time i got to the hospital, my contractions were about 5 minutes apart and irregular. i only felt a few of them and they were not painful. then i was hooked up to equipment and pitocin and shortly after had pain meds (not epidural yet). i dont remember much after the pain meds because they were great and i was exhausted since i didnt sleep at all the night before. sorry im not much help but thats what it was like for me.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I am not sure, I hear the same thing, but what if I DON'T know.. since I'm ammune to really bad pain anyways..
    I think I have Braxton Hicks, but I'm not sure because I'm so used to the pain from periods and such. =/
    Good question, it's not stupid.
    There's not such thing as a stupid qestion!
    Anonymous

• to me they feel like someones putting a belt around my waist and just tighting it and tighting it then releases
    Anonymous