Has anyones baby ever had an umbilical hernia....

I'm just wondering because my daughter has one, she is 11 months old. The doctor said she should grow out of it by the time she is 3 and if not she would need surgery. Anyone else ever experience this? She is not in pain or anything it is just weird to look at.

jnsdrf

Asked by jnsdrf at 8:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DS is almost 3 (next saturday!) and he still has his. It was compounded by the fact that our previous Dr. did nothing about his chronic constipation. We switched Drs a year ago and the hernia has lessened to what looks basically just like an outie belly button. The dr said its only a problem if the intestines get pinched off (not very common). so i wouldn't worry about it at all. just watch to see if it gets worse.
    r2mommy

Answer by r2mommy at 9:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My daughter had one. It was weird. She is almost two and it has been gone for a while. Most of them do grow out of it. You only have to worry if you cannot push it in when she is laying on her back and is nice and relaxed.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 8:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Yep. My daughter was a 23 week preemie and she had one. It was really gross looking and stuck out about 2 inches or so. I think she was about 13 or 14 months old when it finally went away.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My youngest had one. It was actually gone by the time he was a year old.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Oh yes my daughter has one it sticks out like Pinocchio's nose. It is slowly healing up I never believed it would. It still pops out when she screams. My friend 4 yr old just had hers repaired but that was because she had a hernia also don't worry
    littlemomma91

Answer by littlemomma91 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• my 2 year old has one, and they said it probably won't close until she is 5. you can't tell unless she plays with her belly button and turns it inside out (then it makes me gag and freak out). my husband had one when he was a baby too. not much to worry about though.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 10:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• my premie had a huge hernia but my nurse said they normally close up by 18 months and cause them no pain at all...they just look funny huh lol
    nikalotta20

Answer by nikalotta20 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2009