Semen question

I read somewhere that wether or not the semen stays inside your body, or leaks out after sex, makes a difference in getting pregnant. Anybody know anything about this?

anorman08

Asked by anorman08 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• If you are trying to get pregnant, just stay lying in bed for 20 minutes after intercourse. It really does not make a difference if the semen leaks out because it's the sperm that count.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 8:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Tell whoever said that that the best part of them ran down their mother's leg.
    Anonymous

• i do not believe it makes that much of a difference. granted your chances are greater if it stays in. you could take measures to keep it in like keeping your legs up. now a lot of semen comes out when a man ejaculates. there are millions of sperm in one squirt so to speak. good luck!
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My IF Dr recommended that I lay on my back with legs elevated for about 20 minutes. Semen is supposed to 'stick' in the vaginal canal then after about 15 minutes it gets 'unsticky'. This allows the sperm to have the best chance of making it to the cervix and then to the egg. So, it is reasonable to think that keeping as much as possible in is giving you the best possible chance of conception. I say it doesn't hurt to try something that makes sense. Also, don't forget that very frequent intercourse does not necessarily up your chances. Your man needs a chance to recuperate his sperm count, I believe the recommendation is every other day.
    Good Luck, lots of baby dust!
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 9:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I recently found out that i was pregnant. My husband and i started trying in march and well im pregnant and its only april. We only had sex twice and both times i just chose to lay down for 20 min before i took a shower. We also were taking vit and drinking alot of water. Most important we had fun with it. No stress and i guess god was on our side. Goodluck hun..sending you some baby dust
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I did the whole trying to keep the sperm inside of me by holding my legs up in the air like a dummy. It makes no difference. If it sticks, it sticks.
    Anonymous

• I personally lay in bed for about 30 min. but sometimes it still leakes out by the time I get up. My obgyn just told me on my last visit that there was a study done that showed it made no difference at all from a women who just stood up to another who layed there for a while. There was no an increase in pregnancy between the two but like I said, I still lay there for a while and when I got pregnant with my son back then I would just lay in bed and go to sleep with out ever getting up. Oh and I put a pillow under me now but I dont think it helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Laying there can't HURT, but I am not sure it helps either.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:49 AM on Apr. 27, 2009