Is it a bad idea to use a pacifier on an EBF baby at 2 wks old?

He just doesn't want to sleep at night time, he has no problem during the day, but at night it seems like I've become a human pacifier =/ If I use a pacifier will he skip a feeding or get confused is it a totally bad idea??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This actually really depends on the baby. It's probably okay as long as you still feed the baby when he is hungry, but it can cause nipple confusion.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 8:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I agree with kemclaughlin, it depends on the child. My oldest was a preemie and he was given a paci first, then a bottle and then finally was breastfed and he didn't have any confusion. I have heard though of some confusion for other babies.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i didn't want my twins to have binkies, but hospital didn't give me the option. DD hated it, we ended up making her take it (she had colic), DS wanted it. at about 2 months we were able to begin exclusively breast feeding and there was never any nipple confusion with bottle, bink or breast for our lil ones. (formula was also another thing i wasn't given an option about, but it did make DD colic worse)
    try the binky and if the baby doesn't seem to be genuinely nursing as often (not just using you as binky) then back off with it. but it probably won't hurt anything or cause confusion.
    r2mommy

Answer by r2mommy at 9:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• You can try a pacifier any time you want to. it doesnt always work though.
    i also agree with r2mommy.
    good luck and congrats on the baby!!!
    =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My DD had no problem with them from day one. She has been BFed and only uses them to go to sleep. as soon as she is sleeping SHE spits it out.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• The short answer is yes but like another mom said, it depends on your baby.
    I know many breastfed babies who have successfully taken pacifiers and I know many who have not and a few who have been confused by early pacifier introduction.
    Just try it and see what works for you. Good luck and congrats!
    Anonymous

• mine does the same thing at 1wk. and wouldnt take it, but at 3 wks I tried a different kind, when she falls asleep on my breast I slip me out and pop in the gerber pacifier. its the round one w the handle. looks like a bulb. works great. i can lay her down and she goes to town on it. She sounds like maggie simpson, lol lol
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i did with no problems.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 10:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• You can try. It *is* recommended to wait, though,

If he changes the latch one bit, toss it. You don't want sore nipples on top of no sleep. Oh, yeah. Don't count in it making baby sleep. THey're designed to be up and at the breast most of the time right now. You get to sleep again in, oh, 30-40 years. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 11:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• You can give it a try, but if he shows any signs of confusion or frustration at the breast, give it another couple of months. It's recommended to wait at least six weeks to introduce any artificial nipples though. It's a-okay to nurse allllll night long, lol.

Oh and, he's not using you as a pacifier, pacifiers are used as mom replacements :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:27 AM on Apr. 27, 2009