What does it mean when a baby head-butts your breast

my son is breast fed, is it cause he's new at it (only 2 wks) that he's still learning?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Newborns have jerky movements. It probably isn't so much that he's meaning to head-butt you, but is just wiggling.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 9:03 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• agree with "mommydumdum"
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My son is two and a half weeks. He was breastfed for the first three days but I had to switch to formula so now he is bottle-fed. He head-butts me all the time, whether it's the shoulder, chest, or chin. I've been told that most of a newborn's movements (aside from stretching) are involuntary. Plus newborns have almost no control over their head.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• That head bobbing is baby trying to find and latch onto your breast! Babies have the natural instinct to find and latch onto mom's breast. Check out Baby-led Attachment

and

Your baby the Mammal

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• HisMommy414 said "I've been told that most of a newborn's movements (aside from stretching) are involuntary. Plus newborns have almost no control over their head." This is simply NOT TRUE! Your baby has a purpose for that bobbing, but most "modern"moms don't recognize it:
    Your newborn is really a very, very competent little mammal. Take off both your shirts, hold him upright between your breasts, keep his whole front against you, and if he’s hungry he’ll work his way down to your nipple. Guaranteed. He may or may not latch on once he gets there; that can depend on his earlier experiences and yours. But he will absolutely make the trip. You may have been warned to hang on to the baby when you hold him “because babies can fall off your shoulder really fast.” It turns out they haven’t been clumsily falling; they’ve been heading to the restaurant and we’ve been blocking the door!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Maggiesmom2000, intresting concept! and it makes perfect sense!
    sunnyflower417

Answer by sunnyflower417 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 23, 2009