How will I know when to go to the hospital?

My bloody show started yesterday with contractions and stopped last night.
Today my contractions are like 5-10min apart lasting like 35 to maybe 40 seconds.
When do I go to the hospital. I do not want to get there early. Im trying to labor at home as longgg as possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• your dr should have told you when he/she wanted you to come in. i know that mine drilled it into my head and i was quizzed on it each time i left his office.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I would think when your contractions come every 5 minutes. and in case you don't know...you count contractions from the time one starts to the time the second one starts. my doctor tole me he didn't want to admit me until my contractions were 5 minutes apart or i couldn't stand the pain anymore. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My Doctor told me when they are CONSISTENTLY 5 minutes apart.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• when they get five minutes apart all the time. maybe seven. then go. the hospital is better. you get more attention there haha jk!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Take into account how far away from the hospital you are. If it takes a long time to get there then you should head in earlier. If it's not far (10 or 15 minutes to get to the hospital say) then wait until you can't take it anymore. Five minutes apart consistently is a good rule of thumb. Also, if your water breaks you should go immediately.

Good luck!!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Ok, you say youre trying to stay home as long as possible, I assume to avoid any interventions(pit, AROM, etc.) If thats the case, dont go in until youre starting to feel pushy.

To the PP, why on earth do you all feel a woman has to RUSH to the hospital if contrax are 5 monutes apart, or if her water breaks?! ROM does NOT always mean labor. All going to the hospital does is increase a chances of an unnecesary c-section.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• If you are trying to avoid interventions by not going in that is so nice to hear these days. I would stay at home until contractions are consistently 3-5 minutes apart or you feel like you constantly have to pee. The peeing thing according to my midwife was a sure sign I was in transition and that was approximately when I went to the hospital. My water had been leaking for about 5 hours at that point too and my midwife knew it. I delivered my first child about 3 hours after arriving at the hopsital with absolutely no interventions.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:09 AM on Apr. 27, 2009