Baby Food Recipes - what do you use?

DH and I would like to make our own baby food but the recipes online are, really, recipes. If I am going to mix in a bunch of stuff, I'll just grind up our dinner and give it to her! That said, what simple recipes do you use and what items do you use to mash the food? We have a Magic Bullet and I'd like to get a hand processor. I'd like to keep the food simple, like fruits and vegies, but do I simply mash them or cook them first? And should I add some of the cooking water to the mash?

And, what about storing the food? How long does it last in the fridge? Freezer? Is there anything you have purchased to store the food in that you would recommend or do re-used babyfood jars work just fine?

KamellasMommy

Asked by KamellasMommy at 9:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What I did with my DD was started her on avocados....I bought a "hand food mill" from Target for $10 which is great for just simple soft foods, bananas, avocados, things like that. I got organic baby carrots steamed them and mashed them....you don't really need to add water to anything. When they are first starting out to make it runnier, you can add a little bit of breastmilk or formula to make the consistency easier for them to swallow at first. My DD loooves avocados, steamed zucchini, steamed carrots, not broccoli so much, steamed peas (a little) baby rice pudding...if you're interested PM me and I'll give you the recipe:) any other questions just ask....You can freeze anything you make in ice cube trays. Just pop them out as soon as they are frozen and put them in a bag. Otherwise, it gets hard to take them out. I have a lot more info if you're interested:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• How old is your baby? The way you cook it depends on how old they are.
    Anonymous

• Thanks calliesmommie! I will try those out (I heard about freezing in ice cube trays..then just letting one thaw when you want it, glad to hear it worked for someone) and if I have any other questions about it, I'll go to you!

Anonymous - She is almost 10 months old.
    KamellasMommy

Answer by KamellasMommy at 9:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• You can grind up whatever you eat. My 9 month old eats most table food. Just add a bit of water
    Anonymous

• I've just been mashing up whatever we eat for my 9 month old. Except today I found out he really hates spaghetti. He wouldn't eat the jar baby food one either. Just make sure veggies are cooked. The ice cube tray is a good idea.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2009