does anyone else's kid do this??

my daughter has found a new habit. She'll lay on her stomach and put her hands between her legs and "hump" she seems to do it when she's tired, it seems to help put her to sleep. Is this normal?? It just look kinda wrong when we have company over and she's humping her hands...LOL.

sarahbell811

Asked by sarahbell811 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 17 month old daughter does the same thing. we can't help but laugh. we don't know what is causing her to do that. we thought it was just her that was doing that. this is so weird. i hope we both find answers from this...
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Totally understandable!!!! She's mimicking the rocking sensation she enjoys when you rocked her to sleep or whoever did it!!!! She's so cute they'll laugh not look at her as being weird or other things your afraid of! And if you notice funny looks then explain and remind them she's a sleppy baby and thats her self comfort technique!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• my son used to do that when he was about 10 months old until he was maybe 15 months old. I actually asked his doctor if it was normal (I didn't think it was anything sexual or anything he picked up from his father and I because his daddy was deployed) and the doctor said that it is just a comfort thing and it is completely normal and basically all children will grow out of it. Don't worry your kids are normal :)
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 9:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Yes my daughter was doing this as well. We told her to stop laying on the floor...because it started to become a bad habit. She also never slept during nap time but instead did this in her room the entire time, so after cutting out naps and telling her not to lay on the floor it has almost stopped.

I figured she did it because it was relaxing...but doing it 24/7 was becoming akward.

My son also likes to lay on the floor and suck his thumb, but now today I saw he had one hand by his crotch and was rocking. LOL....Wonder where he saw that at !!!
    Anonymous

• I'm glad to know that she isn't the only one :-) my son never did that. sometimes she just gets really into it and starts going at it really fast and it just looks wrong, hehe. hopefully she'll grow out of it soon!!!
    sarahbell811

Answer by sarahbell811 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• LOL!! My daughter, who is now 24, used to do this too!! My son, who is now 18, never did. I now have a 2 yr old daughter who didn't do it and a 3 yr old son who did. So, I have concluded that it isn't just boys or just girls who do it, but, it does seem that they do it when they are sleepy. I was sort of wondering if it wasn't their version of stretching their backs like we do when we get on our hands and knees and arch our back up and down. I don't know... but I agree it is a bit awkward although comical when you have company and they start doing it.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Too funny! It is probably totally innocent. I would try not to let her see a reaction. If you have company, you could be creative and find a way to get her to go to another room. I'm sure she will outgrow it!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Even if it IS a sexual feeling it's totally innocent. Childhood sexuality does exist and just because something is sexual doesn't mean it's not innocent. You won't be able to stop her from doing this in her crib, so if you really feel it's inappropriate for her to do it in front of people, you can tell her it's something she does in her bed. With all things related to kids touching themselves, making themselves feel good, etc., the best approach is advise them on the appropriate places to do these things, but be sure you don't make them feel ashamed.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:40 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i did the same thing..sometimes even now. it helps me sleep. i sleep with my hands clasped and rock myself. my dd sleeps with her hand down her diaper
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It is completely normal its just her way of soothing herself
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Apr. 27, 2009