For those of you who have quit or tried to quit smoking, or have a loved one who has...

My DH is planning on quitting soon. What can I expect from him, behavior-wise?
What can I do to lessen the tension for him?

Any info. at all is appreciated, thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Health

• Congrats to you both!!!! Be supportive, and encourage talking about how its going for him(but don't push, he'll open up when ready). Try to do things with him to keep him distracted(no time to think about a cigerette break). Keep favorite healthy snacks in the house. I quit cold turkey because I couldn't take it anymore, and the taste was getting ugh. There's crazy mood swings and cravings(hand to mouth fixation), headaches and as mentioned weight gain. Popsicles!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• He will be irritable and moody definitely. My mom and dad both quit last year, and I avoided going to their house for the first week because they were both on edge, and bickering everytime... Just give him some peace and quiet when he comes home. Good Luck.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 9:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Mood swings, eating more, gaining weight, and terrible cough Those are all things that my parents went through when they quit smoking.

Carrying hard candies around, mostly mints, and chewing gum helped a lot.
    Anonymous

• you can plan on a lot of male pms.. he could go through fits of anger or if he is a sensitive man he could cry.. but just be supportive and take his anger or whatever else he may throw at you with a grain of salt. just let it roll. but yayy for him to taking that great step towards better health. i have been smoke free for 3 years and do not miss it at all. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• wont happen. my fiance has been planning to quit siince i got pregnant. im due in 2 weeks and he still smokes about a pack a day.
    LotusBlossom21

Answer by LotusBlossom21 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Thanks for the negativity, Lotus...I'm sorry that you're bitter, but my DH is not your fiance :)

Anonymous

• he will be an ahole. just leave the room to calm down and come back and offer to help in some way, massage, put a movie on, etc. don't let the a-hole-ness get to you.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 10:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I quit in 1988 before they had the patch or any of the aids we have now. I was irritable, and replaced the nicotine addiction with too much coffee (had to deal with that later). It helped me to carry just a broken off cigarette filter between my fingers. I also kept a pack of really stale, nasty cigs around just in case the temptation was too much. You can do it if you have made up your mind that this is finally it! Good luck!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Sorry, your boyfriend can do it.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My husband quit 3 weeks ago. For the first few days he was very agitated and irritable. Everyday he got a little better. Every time he wants a smoke he eats. lol. He also complained his chest burned.

Good luck to you!!! I hope he quits and stays with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Apr. 27, 2009