• In the Spotlight:

For moms with reading children..

At what age did they start reading?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• 5-6 after she learned her abc's and recognized 3 letter words. Some are late bloomers and might not read until 7, don't push or rush but encourage!!!! Working on my 2nd 5 yr old now!!! Good luck!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• He learned a few months after kindergarten started. Like at that point, he could read just about anything. He could read small words before that. He was late 5-early 6 at that point.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My DD is not quite 4, but she's been sounding out letters/words since she was 2.5 and is now reading books...I was just wondering how common that is. I wonder if I need to put her in a special school or something..
    Anonymous

• 5 1/2, the second half of Kindergarten.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I began teaching them letters and phonics when they were 2. By time they were 4 they were reading books on their own.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• my daughter started learning at 2, and learned her abcs, and numbers, shapes, etc. I was homeschooling my daughter ,the older one, and she picked up everything,, She is amazing.. She has been reading books since 3.. Infact she reads signs on the highways, reads 2nd grade books..She is only 5, just turned five.. My other daugher doesnot read yet, she is in kingergarden, she is behind on reading, two years, cause she was delayed in speech, other probelms..
    a great website is starfall,com , it moviates the children, and fun, for them to learn. Oh and one day she told us a story of the three little pigs without a book...
    ahortiz5

Answer by ahortiz5 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My daughter started at 4. Now at 6 she is constantly reading, always has a book in her hand, even in the car!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2009