How do you tell a 3 yr old that daddy is gone and mommy and him are divorcing?

my husband and I are separated...and Im having trouble with our 10 and 3 yr old on explanations without telling them something hurtful or scary

mommybeth993

Asked by mommybeth993 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is daddy still going to be a part of their life?? If so, I would say something like, mommy and daddy love you very much, however, we have decided to live seperately because we can not get along...We don't want you to be caught in the middle, and we only want to surround you with love.
    Anonymous

• You and your husband both need to sit the kids down and tell them what is going on. just make sure you tell them that it was nothing they did wrong and that you both love them very much. You could say well Mommy and Daddy are going to live in separate houses. That they are going to have two rooms. Try to make it fun for them in a way. Tell them the truth of why you are divorcing. your ten year old will understand more than your 3 year old.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• you and your soon to be ex husband should talk to them together and make sure you both answers any questions they may have. make sure they know that your divorce has nothing to do with them.
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 10:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Just tell them ...Mommy and daddy are still friends..but ...you guys want two differant houses for awhile * since its only a seperation* and that they will go over there from time to time...to visit daddy and maybe stay the night? ....and that you BOTH will always be there,...
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• yah - I agree with what everyone said but I want to throw this in 2 - Keep it simple in explanations to kids. Never give more info than the question they asked.
    Good Luck!
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 10:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2009