How to transition my baby from 3 naps to 2 naps-any advice?

My 10 month old is currently taking three naps (9am, noon and 3pm...times are approximate). I'd like to transition her to 2 naps...one at 10am, and the second one at 2:30pm/3pm.

(Her naps last anywhere from 45 mins-1 hour).

The reason? Now that the weather is getting nicer, I really want the both of us to get out of the house more...with her three-nap schedule, we really can't plan many activities, because we have to be home for her to get her naps. I don't have a car either.

Any tips on making it a smooth transition?

She goes to bed by 7:30pm and wakes up by 7am.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter goes to bed around 7 wakes up at 630 and gets 2 2 hr naps a day...her daycare got her on that schedule but they just try to intertain her when you dn't want her to sleep. She will take longer naps though. GL
    Madelyn_Marie

Answer by Madelyn_Marie at 10:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• You have a stroller that lays back? if so, just go get out of the house and if she falls asleep, you can still walk.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• try taking her outside to play in the sunshine around 11. feed her lunch out there and keep her entertained and busy. that's how i got DS to drop his morning nap (he'd sleep 10-12 then 2-4 [aprox] ). it took about a week, but he started sleeping from 1:30-4. he's 2y/o and still has that nap schedule.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 10:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I put my baby who is 9 months old to bed by 8. He wakes up around 6:30 or 7 am. He'll take a morning nap around 9 and sleep for an hour. When he wakes up we take a quick snack and go outside if it's nice. Otherwise I plan other indoor activities or go to the library for activities to keep him awake. Then after lunch he will take another hour or two nap. Sometimes after dinner we take another walk or go sit in the yard with my 4yr old. This entertains him and gets him tired out for bed time.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2009