SIL keeps giving me stuff for my daughter

which is greatly appreciated! very much so!! but my daughter is only 2 months... she gives me stuff for like ... a 6 year old girl. this stuff doesnt fit my daughter, and trust me i appreciate it soo much but its not in at all even "okay" shape. its stained or really faded and old has holes in it and its like 6 times TOO big for her....

she seems to be just wanting to get rid of stuff that she has and im her easiest convenient so she throws her junk my way.

how can i nicely let her know that these things dont fit her and she wont be needing them for another 6 years.... i dont want to store all of it for that long in a box and take up space you know??

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My sil does this too. I keep what I like and throw the rest away. I haven't figured out how to tell her I don't want it yet.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 10:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Just tell her that while you really appreciate the thought, you are full up for clothes at the moment and will let her know when you need more.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Just tell her in a nice way that you appriciate it, but obviously the clothes don't fit the baby and they won't for some time. I would just say that you don't have anywhere to store them for that long and maybe some other child could get good use out of the clothes now and suggest that she donate them.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 10:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't say anything. She probably just feels bad throwing it away, so she's passing it your way in case there's anything you want. Just say thank you, toss the really bad stuff, and donate the rest to a womens shelter or some place like that.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• tell her you'll go through the stuff, whatever you don't think would work for your daughter you will either give back to her or donate to good will. thats what i do when people give me hand me downs that are far away from being used. thta way you still get some of the stuff and don't offend her horribly
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I would keep what you want and freecycle the rest. If you think she'll understand I'd tell her to freecycle it, too.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I think samanthaAgain had the best advise...I would do that too.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 12:31 AM on Apr. 27, 2009