Stroke & Disability Questions

Here is my story. I am 30 years old. I am/was an identical twin (my twin was stillborn). I was born 2 months premature which resulted in me pulling my twin's blood which caused my cerebral hemorrhage at birth. I was 18 months old when they detected it. I have paralysis on my left side. I worked from Feb 04-Oct 05, and I realized I could not function in the workplace. Could I apply for disability? Should I apply for SSI or disability? Please no bashing I feel like a total failure because I can not work and I need some help! Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Health

• Yes apply for social security disability. It is a time consuming process and may take a long time to get approved. If they deny it-file an appeal quickly. If they finally approve your case they will pay from the time you first applied. This usually results in a big lump sum payment. But the sooner you start the sooner you will know.

I am wondering if there is another type of work you could do? I don't know your particular issues but if you still want to work even part time you can apply through department of rehabilitation and they will pay for job training. They do all the assessments and pay for everything you need for school.

Which ever you decide to do it is your life not anyone elses.  No one on this site has the right to judge you.  If they  haven't walked in your foot steps then they need to keep their mouths shut.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• You can apply for both disability and SSI. Some people qualify for both. My dad does. And the pp is right, there may be a different kind of job that you could work in. There are agencies that will pay for job training. Whichever one you feel more comfortable with is great. And sometimes on SSI you can work part time and still get it. When/if you get approved you will be told what amount of other income you can make.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2009