My nephew annoys me!

I love my sister, but her son is 9 and does such ridiculous things for attention. BTW he receives plenty of attention! He doesn't know his dad (and there is no he will be involved at all or even claim him) at all and that is a big part of it, the boyfriend is a lil cooky, and my nephew also struggles with ADD & ADHD. Its to the point that I don't even want to be around my sister unless he is gone...I love him..and she absolutely adores her "baby" ...whats a sister ta do? I don't wanna hurt her feelings.

KishaRW

Asked by KishaRW at 10:15 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Than don't , just put yourself in her shoes. Try to be patient and if anything do it for your sister.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 10:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Its tough but you need to let your sister know nicely that you don't appreciate his behavior. Do it with tact and dignity and let her know you love them both to death but regardless of ADD or ADHD he should still have to listen and respect others. He is not mentally or physically handicapped to the point of not understand right from wrong. He has a problem with slowing down and paying attention and should be treated like any other child who misbehaves. Just let her know that its getting rough the older he gets and the more he acts out to be around him and your fearful your baby will end up repeating his actions.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• If he is ADD/ADHD, he may have trouble with boundaries, he will find social situations difficult, he may have impulisve behaviors--he acts before he thinks. Kids with ADD/ADHD have issues with processing things that a kid without may not. He also could have something else other than ADD/ADHD. Your sister needs to give him CONSTANT reminders on how to behave in different situations, talk about what is appropriate and what isn't. My son just spouts things out and sometimes doesn't realize he is until it is too late. He does the whole act before he thinks. Try putting yourself in your sisters shoes. It is NOT easy raising a child that is ADD/ADHD especially when people think that it is just attention and slowing down issues. There is much more to it than that. Be patient and understanding, he needs it not his own aunt not wanting to be near him. Remember that he is the CHILD.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Please don't tell her. You wil only have this problem for a few years but telling her will hurt her for the rest of her life. It is not worth saying anything at all. Just put up with it for a few years. You will barely remember it in 20 years and you will still have a great relationship with your sister to show for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I dont think i would tell her. I do know how you feel about annoying kids though and i did put up with for a while and if even prayed for a day of peace and wound up with her being taken away by her mom. so becareful what you wish for me. my family is a lovely bunch of coconuts but they are my coconuts
    debmom07

Answer by debmom07 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Kids need our love when they are most unloveable.
    momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2009