When do they start checking you down there?

I will be 28 weeks on Wednesday and have a doctor appt tomorrow (Monday). Do you think he will just like measure my stomach and that's pretty much it? When do they start checking to see if you are dilating, etc. ? Thanks guys!! :)

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Around 37 weeks is when they should do a vaginal sometimes not until 38. They will measure your stomach, weigh you, do your blood pressure and thats about it. They avoid vaginal exams as long as possible to avoid infection.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• They usually don't start until AT LEAST 37 weeks but some do start earlier. Usually not before 36 weeks though.

These exams can introduce bacteria and cause infection so it's best if they don't do them to often or to early.

Also remember that you CAN refuse these exams to prevent the chance of a bacterial infection.
    Anonymous

• my doctor did one at 34 weeks idk whu she chkd me so early i had been havin contractions and i was 2 cm dialated
    Anonymous

• I was wondering that too. I am 29 weeks Monday and go next week as well. I feel a whole bunch different though.... like he is ALOT lower and cramping more...
    LiLMomma0060

Answer by LiLMomma0060 at 1:03 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It depends on your doc. My midwife never checked until I went into her office after my water started to leak and even then she didn' check until a few hours later after I came back from walking for a while and was clearly in transition. Her reason for not checking the first time was because once they check and the water has broke you have to deliver in 24 hours or risk infection and she knew I wanted natural child birth with no interventions and so she wanted to make sure I was actually IN labor. Normal visits are blood pressure, weight, urine, measure belly, and check heart rate of babe.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:03 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• 36-38 weeks. I don't get vaginal exams though, so I don't really know. I refuse them because they are unnecessary.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:42 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• With my doc I will check in monthly till 7 months. Then I will come in twice a month...then when I hit month 9 he will make me come in once a week and that's also when he starts doing the internal exams all the way up till delivery :) So I would say 36 weeks or like some of these ladies AFTER is when your doc will also prolly start checkin you for dilation unless something else comes up of course :)
    Lovechild82

Answer by Lovechild82 at 8:44 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• They are unnecessary and dangerous. They tell you nothing, as one woman could be dialated 4 cm for weeks, another could go from closed tight to baby in 2 hours. They introduce bacteria and risk accidental or "accidental" stripping or rupture of the membranes.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:56 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• They don't need to check you at all. The checks do not tell anyone anything as every woman is different and you can have a woman who doesn't dialate much until very near actual birth, and another woman can walk around for months dialated to 5.

There is no need for anyone to stick their hands in your vagina to "check". Not to mention the fact that if they are pulling gloves from that open box in the room, those are NOT sterile. Don't let them tell you otherwise, because if they were really sterile they'd be individually packaged and sealed. Also, have you ever seen them scrub their arms and hands up to the elbows before putting on the, of course, non-sterile gloves before doing an internal? How can that be sterile!?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:10 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Depends on the doctor. Anwhere from 36-38 weeks. I don't remember when the doctor started checking me.
    ta2dirishlass

Answer by ta2dirishlass at 9:15 AM on Apr. 27, 2009