Am I a horrible mom for feeling this way?

We ALL have "those" days...yet there seems to be women on cafemom who swear they NEVER feel like running away. Today was such a hard day for me...I felt clautrophobic and wanted to leave the house. I left the baby (taking a nap) in her father's care while I went out for some air. I did feel better, but I still felt sort of "trapped". I love my daughter dearly, and never would I regret giving birth to her, but every once in awhile, I feel like "what did I get myself into?".

Am I REALLY the only one that feels like that from time to time? Am I a horrible mother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Of course you're not. Whenever you think you're the ONLY ne who thinks a certain way, it's guaranteed that you're NOT.

And frankly, anyone who tells you they NEVER want to run away...isn't being honest. With you and with themselves. There's no such thing as a perfect situation.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• no your not. dont worry we all need time now and then you did nothing wrong.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• no you aren't and i'm sorry but i don't believe anyone who says otherwise! i have to put myself outside sometimes, or leave my daughter with my husband just to run to the store for something i don't need in the first place. so no you aren't horrible, and the fact that you did walk away i think makes you a better mother b/c you took the time for yourself to take a breath and be able to deal with whatever stress you had
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• No you're not! Don't feel like a bad mommy. We all need that time away sometimes and if u say u don't then your baby must only be a few days old...lol I have 3 kids so i totally know what you're talking about. Try to get some time to yourself. Take a bath or read a book..... Good luck! You'll be fine! :)
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 10:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i feel that way on rare occasions. I have lots of friends who are still young and have no children, have the freedom of going to bars, staying out late, hanging out with groups of friends and going to festivals together...I dont have those freedoms anymore and I sometimes wish I could just GO. but I tell ya I honestly dont have it in me anymore. SO said i could go out one night to see my friends' band at a local bar. I saw a small handful of people I knew, but I kept checking my phone to see if SO called and kept looking at the phone pictures of my son. I left an hour later bored, and was eager to be in my comfort zone of the house! I havent been out since. I lost my social skills
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• No, you're just fine. Having kids is an enormous responsibility that overwhelms at times and makes you feel trapped because, let's face it, YOU ARE! Key to this: take it one day at a time, be aware of PMS times that make it worse, get sitters, get family, whatever to give you good breaks. A three hour break is good and continue to do things you did before pregnancy or baby arrived so you still feel a little like your old self. It gets better if you can implement the above. Hang in there.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• It's all a normal part of being a mother!! Welcome!
    wilesmomma

Answer by wilesmomma at 10:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I almost walked out tonight and left for a while. My 13 yr old was on my last nerve. I have no one to help me out, I do it all alone and it gets to be too much sometimes. There are days that I just want to runaway, not be a mom anymore. It's just a part of being a parent. We are all allowed are bad days, just like anyone else...kids included. Those on hear that say they NEVER feel this way, are lying or delusional.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I think it's in the best interest of the mom (or father) and the child if the the adult leaves once in awhile for time away. I think you can definately take better care of the child if you're not stressed out and on edge. That's when you hear about babies being shaken and whatnot. Everyone needs time away, and those who swear they don't either have a nanny that takes care of the baby all the freakin' time, or they're just fooling themselves.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 12:00 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• OH man in the beginning when my oldest was so tiny and small I would have given anything to run away! Obviously I didn't, but it's a loss just the same. You are grieving your "old" life, where you could do anything you wanted, anytime you wanted without planning anything. It took me ALONGGGGGG time to figure out that I was actually grieving! You will fall into a pattern of activity day to day and that nagging little voice will come less often. Believe me YOU are NOT alone! And the PP are right, any mom who says that she doesn't occasionally want to run away is a liar! :) You are human, allow yourself a break and don't feel guilty about it!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:27 AM on Apr. 27, 2009