Do you believe it's possible?

Do you think it's possible that if a child is molested or raped at a very young age they can block those memories out of their subconscious for most of if not all of their life and have no vivid recollection of such events?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• I think it is possible that they may block the memory of the event or distort it from their conscious as a defense mechanism but I guarantee you that the abuse will manifest itself in another form. This kind of things are very dramatic and have detrimental effects on victim's lives. And sooner or later, one way or another they will manifest themselves. If you don't mind me asking, what prompted you to ask this question?
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• yes
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• yes very much so
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• yes absolutely
    lalasmom8

Answer by lalasmom8 at 10:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Yes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• yes, it happens all the time. some people will recall such events later in life and some may never...
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 10:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Additional info: So I think this may have happened to me....and I'm trying to get to the root of things. I've always suspected that my father may have raped me when I was little and I just want to know what you all think.

- His father and grandfather are known pedophiles.
    - He's an alcoholic and tried to sleep with my GRANDMA when he was drunk
    - He's picked up 16 year old girls and slept with them
    - When I was 4 years old my mom came home from work and I was lying on the floor crying and she asked what was wrong I said "I can't move my legs" and she asked why and I said "It feels like someone shoved a stick up me.." and my mom confronted him but never did anything about it
    - My grandma walked in on him completely naked masturbating with me (1 and a half) sitting on the couch watching
    - When I was 8 years old I had unexplained bleeding down there when i returned to my mothers after the weekend and it wasn't my period.
    Anonymous

• I am terribly sorry to hear all of this, I suggest you to go to a qualified therapist and to maintain your distance from this man. Also, don't dwell on it, only through teraphy can you rediscover your past.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• yes, it's very possible. I'm curious tho, who told you all of these things? And if they knew these things were happening, why didn't they do anything about it? Your Mom is just as guilty as he is if she allowed it to happen, or suspected it was happening and didn't do anything to stop it.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• sometimes ignorance is bliss

Answer by admckenzie at 10:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2009