Are you concerned about the new "Swine Flu"?

Do you think this will become a pandemic? Are you taking any precautions with your family? Or do you think this is more media hype?

dragonfly7271

Asked by dragonfly7271 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have mixed feelings about it. I've just read a book on the 1918 flu that killed 40 million people. Tthe hypothesis is that it started with swine. There was a case of swine flu that killed off 40% of its victims, but no one really cared since it was just swine. The virus mutated, became airborne, and turned into a form that attacked humans.

The major concern is that the flu virus that killed so many people attacked the healthiest people-- the mortality rate for those 18-40 was the highest, and these are the groups that are supposed to be the healthiest. It turned out that the strong immune systems actually facilitated the actions of the virus, killing the host.

I'm worried that people aren't going to take it seriously, and it's going to spread and mutate faster than we can control it. I'm pregnant with my first child, and I'm concerned. But there really isn't much that I can do beyond doing what I normally do.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• media hype and im not saying it isnt real or anything but i think they are blowing it out of proportion and purposely scaring people into medicines and vax and it obviously works!
    Anonymous

• there was a case in Ohio only an hour from where I live confirmed....a nine year old boy and the whole school is shut down for this whole next week. Elyria ohio
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Another "test" of the Obama Administration! Lets see how Napolitano handles THIS one!
    Anonymous

• We need to re-institute the quarantine in this country.

Anonymous

• Its ridiculous media hype
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• The best precautions you can take to prevent it are wash your hands. We do that anyway
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Yes, I'm worried, but I'm not going psycho.
    I live in Texas, and it's already here, I guess. We're just being cautious.
    Anonymous

• There are 7 cases in California , southern and I hope it stays down there. Texas ha 2 confirmed ones . NY has 8 I think .. there is right now 20 in USA All are doing well and getting treatment. We have better medical treatment than those in Mexico.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Hype? Scaring people into...what? I see someone brought up the same lame "vax" argument.Ha. LOL. This is a flu---there is no vaccination for it. They suggest washing your hands aways. Is that so hard?
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2009