Breastfeeder Question

Do you have to hold your boob off of your baby's face so that you dont smother them with it? Or is it just because my breasts are so huge?

HunnysFarAway

Asked by HunnysFarAway at 10:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My boobs have always been big and sense I had the baby even bigger. I have to hold my boob every time I nurse her. You are not the only one!! I really wish I had smaller boobs because it is sad if I didnt hold my breast away from her nose she couldnt breathe. Goodluck let me know what works for you if anything works. You might just have to keep holding it.
    HeidilovesNyla

Answer by HeidilovesNyla at 12:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I used to when he was younger, before he got the hang of it.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• With larger breasts and swelling if you find the breasts covers the nose while feeding you do have to hold it in a manner that promotes breathing. Boppy pillows also help with finding most comfortable position for you both.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• There are some tips for large breasted mothers at http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVMayJun89p35.html

"place a rolled diaper or folded receiving blanket under the breast for support"

"Many large-breasted women need to hold their breast with fingers underneath and thumb on top throughout the nursing session. This maneuver, in addition to keeping their breasts off the baby's chin and nose, also keeps their nipple in the baby's mouth. Otherwise, the weight of the heavy breast applies pressure on the baby's mouth, making it difficult for the baby to keep the nipple in his mouth."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• ^^^ Maggimom2000 said what I would say.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Hold the breast at the bottom but you don't have to pull it away from their nose. The unique shape of a babies nose let's them breath while they nurse. I have large breasts as well and this is what I have read and a LC told me. Trust me, if baby can't breath he'll let you know.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I always held mine back away from his nose, but I don't really have to anymore since he is bigger (8 months old).
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:10 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I do, but I am also "blessed" with large breasts.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2009