Do people ask questions just to bully others into believing what they believe?

It seems to me that many of the 'hot topic' questions that come up have the OP running around trying to make anyone who doesn't agree with them, or how they think look/feel/seem stupid to validate their point.

ProudSingleMum

Asked by ProudSingleMum at 11:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If your beliefs are so weak that a question or comment on a web site can bully you into believing some one elses way maybe you should take another look at those beliefs.

I assume you mean people who use CM to preach Christianity. While I don't believe this is in anyway proper or productive they have just as much right to state their "questions" as any one else. If you don't want to read them then just skip that section. I don't read in the politics section for that reason. I don't want to hear everyones bashing of either party or any leader. So I just skip that area.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• It's not to bully others in most cases, I think. IMO it's mostly to validate the beliefs held by the OP... the more they can get people to say "Heck Yeah!" the more comfortable they feel in their own identity. When people say, "No, I find your beliefs wrong (or even questionable)" then that sends shivers down the ego and threatens the person's sense of the world ... anything that calls the paradigm that person is operating from "incorrect" is perceived as a threat. It's all about paradigms and identity and ego. (Ego not meant here as machismo but as the sense of Self.)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I agree with your first paragraph wholly! It just seems like people ask a question wanting a specific answer and if they don't'get it, they get...nasty/irritating/etc. In the hopes that someone will fold?? IDK.

I steer clear of what I feel will 'irritate' me. I was just wondering if people do this, cause it seems like they do.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 11:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Collinsky....makes sense.
    ProudSingleMum

• I think this is about the fantasy that a mom has about her perverted neighbor in relationships and then she came in here seeking validation for sitting on neighbors lap in front of his wife. Can we spell, T-A-C-K-Y-?
    Anonymous

• Uh...no one bullies me into anything. I think that I have to be respectful no matter what I answer, but if I disagree, I have no problem saying so.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:51 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Anon, I have NO idea what it is you are talking about, haha.

Momofasaee: maybe I should have said 'attempt' to bully. And there is a difference in being rude/nasty/bullyish/etc because someone doesnt agree with you, and just being honest when you don't agree. (or at least there is IMO)
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 9:06 AM on Apr. 27, 2009