Will pregnancy medicaid cover gallbladder surgery?

I may need it and not sure if medicaid will cover it during pregnancy or right after baby is born. Also does anyone know how much this surgery costs in case they won't pay for it?

WldHrts

Asked by WldHrts at 11:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Health

• i had to have my appendix removed when i was pregnant with my son and they paid it. so i would say yes.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I don't know anything about pregnancy Medicaid, but I think you should check to see if there are any faith-based hospitals in your area. Sometimes they have financial assistance programs where they will write off a portion of the bill or the entire bill. You may have to provide lots of financial information that takes several hours to prepare, but it can save you thousands if you need surgery and really can't afford it.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Yes, they cover the same types of things as regular medical insurance. Pregnant or not. Go to the doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Yes, they will cover your gall bladder surgery and it cost to be exact $16, 840.68. I stayed over night for observation so... give or take.
    Anonymous

• I would think so. If it is medically necessary, then yes it should.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• 16,840 is cheap my gallbladder surgery was a little over 24,000. Yes they will cover it.
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 12:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Sixteen thousand is cheap, I think that my insurance paid out around $40,000 for the surgery itself and that is a small fraction compared to the hospital bills. Although it sounds that you will have things covered. I am not sure about the assistance. I kind of wished that I had had mine taken out while being pregnant because it lead to problems later on that we did not know was because of my gallbladder. And having the surgery was also the end of my breastfeeding so if you plan on breastfeeding it might be better to try and do it before you have the baby. just discuss your different options with you doctor. Good luck!!!
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:29 AM on Apr. 27, 2009