What is this?

My one month old has this rash on the top of her shoulders, a little on her chest, and some on her scalp. She also has some on one cheek, which I thought might just be infant acne, but I'm not sure, since it looks the same as the one on her shoulders and chest. Maybe it's from spit up, but that wouldn't explain the one on the scalp. I plan on calling the pediatrician tomorrow, but has anybody else had experience with this?

mom2bsoon83

Asked by mom2bsoon83 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• possibly an allergy to the formula OR your clothing detergent..the pediatrician will recommended you change everything like that. GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I would say combination cradle cap and excema. Both will eventually go away. My little guy is bf'd and he has a patch on his chest (he is not a spit uper at all) and some on his lower back. I use all free detergents ( Purex Free and Clear? it doesn't have any dyes or perfumes) Cradle cap will go away on it's own in a few months, our peds said that I could try any and every trick in the book and it might get better or it could get worse, so I just scrubbed his little head when he would get a bath. For the excema though, he hasn't grown out of it. I stopped using lotions on him and it has cleared some, but not completely. I have used just about anything to try and get it to go away, and nothing has worked, so I imagine it just needs some time. Just give it some time, baby skin is weird like that!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:16 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• OH and the face, is probably baby acne.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:17 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• If it is cradle cap, a lltle olive oil and a comb will remove it.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Hmm.. are you nursing? It seems like the places that would have contact to your clothing... I'd try the detergent hypothesis first. It may not even be exzema, could just be sensitivity.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• If it's an allergy to something they ingested (formula, etc), it's usually on the whole body (belly, legs, etc)
    EmilySusan