my son is 3 and...

im trien to get him to go to sleep tonight and he was touching himself and i was like what are you doing? dont do that why are you doing that and he said cause it keeps getting big.... so he had a boner. ive never seen him get one and its kinda freaking me out lol. is it normal? my boyfriend said that his son use to get them when he was changing him and cleaning him up. but its still weird to me cause my son never did and doesnt still when i clean him.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yes its normal. just tell him if he is going to do that he needs to do it in private with no one else around. my daughter is that age (i know about the boner thing with boys b/c a friend freaked and called her doc over it once) and she started touching herself a few months ago when i asked her why she said it tickled and she liked it. i told her to do that in her room by herself and she hasn't been doing it since then.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• it's normal, he's just exploring his body.. all kids do it but it is weird to see your child touching themselves.... i kinda dread that with having a boy this go round LOL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Even when they are little they are still little men:) lol. My son is only 2 and he gets them in the morning when he first gets up. Its normal. Good luck keeping him off it tho.
    Sara722

Answer by Sara722 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• ditto, just tell him he needs to do that in private. my 3 yo son used to do that in front of us when his peter was easy access (like when he walked around in his undies) so i just made sure he always wore his jeans or shorts (that way its wasn't even an issue). then he grew out of it. now he talks about women being naked all the time and they aren't even naked, they're in their bikinis!!
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 11:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I think I read that getting erections is a sign of health for guys of all ages. It's really normal and nothing to worry about. Even kids know what feels good. It's also a good time to start talking to him about how his has rights over his own body.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 1:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Oh yes. I remember my 4 yr old saying...momma, it hurts again! He was talking about his private area. He would get them regularly and be all freaked out. IT was spontaneous though. It just happened. Hes 7 1/2 now and doesnt mention it anymore...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:45 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Yep, normal and it happens when they push poop out on the potty, too.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:29 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Totally normal. Don't make a huge deal about it and it will pass. If you make a stink then he will become more obsessed with himself. I just told my boys it was a natural occourance and if they wanted to touch themselves they should just do it in their rooms.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I just let it go and tell him to go to his bedroom, so we don't have to see it. Now my 1 yr old is tugging on his when we change his diapers. Zach did the same thing as a baby. My 3 old likes to rub it on things and it's weird, ped said it was normal. So far he's gotten better and learned it's something we don't want to see and he has to go to his bedroom.
    Anonymous