Ok, I stole this question from a friend of mine earlier. "Christians who evangelize...How does it look from the other side?"

As I said, a friend of mine asked this and I thought it was interesting. This is NOT intended to be mean spirited or bashing, it's a purely academic question asking for opinions from Christians. This question arose from various conversations with people of diverse faiths and we were all curious about it, so I decided to post it here in hopes of getting some mature responses. Thanks ladies.

"As a Christian, if someone were to tell you that you were going to go to hell because you are worshiping a false God, idolizing Jesus of Nazareth as the son of God and that to save your soul, you must renounce this false teaching and repent of your wicked beliefs, you would think they were crazy/devil possessed, right? This is how it sounds to people with other beliefs when they are told that Jesus is the only way. So, how do you evangelize to people of other faiths and expect to be taken seriously?"

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 11:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As a former Christian, I think the only answer that will be given (except from those Christians who believe in deep ecumensim) is "because we're right" backed up by the Bible and/or personal experience of the Lord. And any other holy book or teaching, and any personal experience of a deity other than YHWH or Jesus is dismissed immediately as "false" or "deception." The system is fairly impregnable.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I can understand where you're coming from. It's very hard to believe in something you can't see, feel, touch. Faith is tough sometimes. However, I know for a fact that once you open your heart to it, God shows you that He is real. I know to some people we can never be taken seriously. Unless you want to have an open heart and mind, we won't get through to you. However, I'm not one of those that will bash you for not coming around and believing. I'll just secretly pray for you. :o)
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• witnessing through word or deed is all anyone can do. if someone accepts what you offer, then the seed has been planted. if not, and they respond with , 'you're crazy/devil possessed.' (or whatever someone would respond with from the other side...hehe), then you can only walk away. i know, some continue to browbeat, or attempt to 'force' it..but biblically (if that's truly what they are following for inspiration), they are supposed to 'wash their hands of it'...walk away. they can still pray for the person(s), but really, their best defense is their personal actions/character/life..its always the best advertisement.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I don't evangelize. The way I figure it, if someone is interested in the Christian faith, they have so many different books and programs and churches with way more qualified teachers than me to learn from. My husband's family (I have been married almost 25 years) doesn't know I'm a Christian. My family does because they are all Christians. My hubby isn't one and other than explaining my faith to him way back, I don't say anything to proselytize him. There are obnoxious people in all religions.

Anonymous

• I've wondered sometimes, if it wasn't so morally repugnant to me to proselytize, what passages I would use to do so, and it occurs to me that pretty much anything I found would infuriate them, even the most benign passages. It's too bad they can't realize that's how it feels from the other side, because it starts with insisting everything they believe is wrong.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• one needs to keep in mind that other religious groups feel that they also have been divinely proven right. I have had a experience with the Goddess, but to some Christians that means Satan has deceived me. What if Satan has deceived you, and not me?
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Well I would invite you into my home (that is if your going door to door like we do..) and listen to you then ask you questions about what you belief is based on and share my Faith based belief with you. We do that with the Mormons when they come by.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 3:35 AM on Apr. 27, 2009