stillborn babies

my friend just gave birth to a stillborn about 3 days before the duedate his heartbeat just stopped! is this common and what signs to look for?

*im so scared that since ive miscarried before that im going to lose my baby*

dilemma1

Asked by dilemma1 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Just calm down. MOST babies that are miscarried are lost in the early weeks of pregnancy. If you've heard the heartbeat the chances of miscarriage has dropped already. Stressing yourself stresses your baby and that is not good for either of you.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I know of someone who also recently gave birth to a stillborn child a week before her due date. She said she knew something was wrong when she didn't feel her baby move all day. Her loss was due to an infection she developed. Don't think about the what if's and stress yourself out. Have faith that everything will be alright. Take care!
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 11:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My friend was a few days past her due date and she had a still born. It's heart also just stopped beating. They said something about...the placenta is only meant to work for so long and it just stopped working...something along those lines. It really sucked though. Bad times...
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 11:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• The messed up thing about any pregnancy or living thing i this world is that its not garenteed!!! I as well as my sister had still borns(she was 1 month from giving birth, I lost mine at 5 months). Its not easy and the pain is horrid but there is a reason we are not meant to understand, if we were we all would have an explanation as to why still borns occur!!!! I truly believe that God does not give us more than we can deal with!!!! Stop worrying and pray for a healthy pregnancy an make sure you do everything within your power to make it healthy. Good luck, take care, rest your mind, and God bless!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• As the mother of a stillborn daughter, I can tell you, it's uncommon. Signs to watch for are lack of fetal activity even after you drink something sweet and cold and lay down, a heavy feeling in the uterus - they become like stones and you feel heavy thumping in there when you move - I carried my daughter a week while she was dead. It is NOT like fetal movement - it's like being hit. Just keep doing kick counts and check in frequently: even a sleeping fetus will usually snuggle against your arm if it's nearby. Go slow, take it easy, and be careful. (And my daughter died of complications of Down's syndrome - also uncommon.)
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 12:32 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Like rainbowlight said, it's not that common, most stillborn babies die because of rare complications, my first daughter died of trisomy 18 before she was born, and now her little sister is just as healthy as can be and due in July. It's hard to go through and scary to see your friends or family go through it when you're pregnant, but it's really not a very common thing.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 12:41 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Stillbirth is very uncommon, especially for unknown causes like that. In all my life I have known of exactly one case like that. It happened 10 days before the due date. ANd there might have been another cause, but I never found out about it. All of the other close to due stillborns I have heard of, they were expecting it, because of Trisomy 18, or anencephaly, or othersuch reasons as that. I know it's still so hard not to worry, expecially when it happens to someone you know while you're pregnant, I still worry every time I haven't noticed much moverment for a while. But it's extremely unlikely to actually happen.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:58 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• The statistic is 1 in 1000 if I remember correctly. A stillborn is considered after 20 weeks.

My dd was stillborn at 36 weeks 6 years ago next month. I woke up one morning and she wasn't moving which was very unusual. I called my OB and they sent me to L&D. They hooked me up and she was already gone. I had an emergency c-section 3 days later. She died from mismanaged Gestational Diabetes.
    If you have any concerns, speak with your doctor.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:11 AM on Apr. 27, 2009