To all the Manager moms, or someone who is in a higher rank than other employees..

If you were a manager,& heard a customer saying rude, racial slurs, & sexist remarks to your employees, What would you do? Or in the situation, that that happens, and the employee quits because the manager stood by and took no action, what would you do?I quit my job last night, b/c some elderly guy got wayy beyond P.O.'ed at me b/c he bought bread that was 3 almost 4 dollars.
Which he was asking why am I buying bread so effing expensive.
But said it in spanish, slurring BAD.And he started calling me a wetback, (Which I'm not even mexican)[Also, No offense to anybody, I'm just explaining what happened.]And saying I'm a retarded wetback girl, that since I came from mexico
I should be ashamed I didn't know spanish.I understand spanish, I don't speak it

I called over one of the main managers of the store, who happens to be mexican.
And the manager just stood there, letting the man go on and on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• And he just stood there, and chuckled at what the guy was saying. So I just finished the last customer I was on, then left. Clocked out and went home. Calling an hour later to tell them I was quitting my job there, and would not be back the next day(today).
    I spoke with the same manager that just stood there, and he played it stupid.
    "I don't understand why you're quitting, what happened?"

Also, would you prefer a perspective employee to come to you with this out front as to why they quit that job?
    Or do you think it would be better to leave it at I quit for personal reasons?
    Anonymous

• I have asked customers to leave the store before. There is a girl that I work with that is a lesbian. She doesn't hide it, but also doesn't flaunt it, if that makes sense. She was saying something about her girlfriend when a customer said something about "Nasty effin bull dyke." I told her that she had no place there if she was going to disrespect my employees and that she was not welcome back.

I would list personal reasons as the reason why I left. I honestly think that perhaps you could have tried to let it slide. I mean, idiots exist everywhere. Its going to happen again somewhere else. I would have liked to think that your manager would have done a better job of diffusing the situation though too. If a new potential employer asks, explain as best as possible without being too negative.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My old boss was a great example with how a boss should be. He tolerated no indecency or disrespect from customers, paying or not and we were in high end sales. I had a customer calling me all sorts of names one night because he wanted an unreasonable discount and he had already been approved for $20,000 my boss asked him to leave that he wasn't going to allow him to abuse his employees. I had a lot of respect for him for that. I doubt the guy wouldve bought anyway but greed isnt pretty in the work place.
    I'm a manager now and also do not allow that type of behavior. I would first, kindly, ask for the behavior to stop, if he kept it up I would ask twice, the third time I call the police. Just the way it goes around here. All of the businesses here are that way and I'm glad! I'm sorry that happened to you. Don't take it personally some people just make asses out of themselves over bread
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• The manager has no concept of customer service. You have a couple of options. You can contact the general manager / owners; you can contact the Southern Poverty Law Center (the US home of civil rights) regarding taking legal action. www.splcenter.org

Answer by rkoloms at 5:28 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Dealing with the public, you will always have stuff like this. Your manager is not much of a manager but he is not at fault her either, you didn't like his response and that doesn't mean you were wronged. If your state has right to work laws, you need to just find another job or apologize for quitting and ask for your old job back. He will fill your place immediately if you don't take it back and he would rather not train a new person and fill out all that paperwork.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• The managers where I work don't do anything..
    Two guys broke out into a fight in a seperate incident and the manager just stood by watching.
    A little girl got thrown out of the way, and I don't know if she was hurt or not cause I was leaving.
    Another incident, a guy was screaming obscenities through out the store.. About how he went to Vietnam, and he killed women and children and that he wasn't scared to do it again.
    And yet again, they did nothing.

They even kept us from calling the cops, and the guy stayed there from about 8pm to 11pm... after that Idk, went home...
    But they wouldn't let anyone go to the bathroom or anything cause they knew we'd call the cops.
    But even at that, the guy stayed on the premises and would even go through girls lines calling the employees whores that would suck his.... for an easy dollar.
    But they didn't even do anything..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• And another thing, I wasn't asking about the public.
    Stupid is breeding, FAST.
    I know this.

I was asking from a manager standpoint..

Let me rephrase that, a "Real Manager" standpoint.

And as for what's to follow,
    It's mainly the anger talking..
    But Ask For My Job Back And Give Then An Apology?!?
    HAH. They can keep their damned job.
    They lost a 4 in 1 employee..
    I was always the one asking to help people.
    Hey, do you need me to, help push carts, throw the trash.
    Then it was always hey, they called in so we're putting you on this or that.
    Or hey go cover so and so, so they can have a break/lunch.

That's A-Okay, They can keep track of how much actual work you do.
    A girl there, she got paid for 8 hours of work.
    But only did maybe 15 mins.
    (That's how long she was on her comp.)
    Other than that she can't do anything really..

I was wanting to kn
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I was just wanting to know for future jobs.

What some managers would prefer...
    Or suggest.

And when I say anger, I mean from what happened in the OP.
    So no, it's not directed to you, in any form shape or fashion.
    So please don't get offended
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Sorry for making lik 12 jillion responses..

But also, as for filling my place immediately, won't happen.
    They are hiring, but not at a god rate.
    On top of where I live, there's too many people doing drugs.
    You got to be clean to get hired.
    and they are so despreate for people, they called back this girl that started the same day
    But she only worked 3 days a week..
    And from the very get go, se called in atleast once..
    They called her back..''
    =/

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Apr. 27, 2009