Does anyone know what sort of skin condition this is?

My youngest son has had extremely dry skin pretty much since birth. A doctor told me once that it was eczema. He does have symptoms that agree with that diagnosis, like getting over heated easily. I think there is something else going on as well. His legs stay dry and red all over, and have these little hard bumps on them. The bumps are all on hair follicules, and have a hard white top that if scraped off release the hair. I'd like to take him to a dermatologist but its going to have to wait a while unfortunately due to monetary limits. Is there anything I can do for him at home? They bother him and he gets embarrassed about it.

kbates1208

Asked by kbates1208 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son, my cousins and I all have Eczema and we all use Aquaphor, it works great!!! Also, use a gentle soap for washing...Cetaphil, Aveena, Dove or Ivory. I had an Rx for a cream but it is a steroid and I didn't feel safe lathering steroids on my son, especially since the Aquaphor worked better.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Is it really painful for him? Like small blisters? It could be dyshydrosis. I would take him to a doctor for another opinion regardless.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• olive oil keep spritzer bottle try having him eat Manuka honey 2 and spray the dust mites with tea tree oil /water spritzer on bed rugs ect.,
    tee tree shampoo once a week
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I'm no Dr. but I would say eczema. The flaky, white stuff on his head is probably just some cradle cap. My son had that forever and would lose chunks of hair. You're really not supposed to do anything for it, but if it bothers you that much you can put a little baby oil on the dry areas of his head and gently brush his hair with a baby brush. This should get rid of the cradle cap. He will grow out of it though.
    Anonymous

• i have that its Psoriasis. i get it in my hair and on my body. its harmless but if it gets to dried out it will itch like crazy. their is a shampoo to use. you can find it at walgreens or any pharmacy. but i dont think you need to bring him to a dermatoligiost my doctor took care of it for me. good luck and dont worry to much it just looks gross
    3Morgan3

Answer by 3Morgan3 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• oh and there are also skin creams but i would consult with a doctor before you use it on your son. because he might be to young for it.
    3Morgan3

Answer by 3Morgan3 at 11:57 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• He is going to be 7 this year, so its hard to tell him he'll grow out of it at this point. The bumps I'm referring to are on his legs. They don't hurt unless he picks one or has a huge one that hangs on his clothes and yanks off. He also suffers from severely flaky scalp. The baby oil thing was a pain in the butt. I had to wash his hair 5 or 6 times to get it out, and still had flakes. I have some tea tree shampoo I may try on his head, but I don't know what to do about his legs. Its hot outside and he wants to wear shorts, but he gets embarrassed.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 11:57 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I looked at pictures of psoriasis and it doesn't look the same...I have seen a few prescription remedies for it and eczema and they appear pretty close to the same thing.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I just wanted ot say poor lil guy, being embarassed sucks! Without a pic its hard to tell but you may want to google skin issues, and see if a site pops up that looks like what he has. I know money is tight for us all now but try top get him into see a dermatologist so they can treat it and no more shame. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:39 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Keep applyng the eczema ointment .. wouldn't bathe him everyday because it will irritate the skin and when bathing try using slightly cool water ..if it is eczema try to avoid heat if you can it will aggravate it .
    zapora_08

Answer by zapora_08 at 4:35 AM on Apr. 27, 2009