Is something wrong with my 2 yr old or am I over analyzing?

My cousin has tourettes syndrome. She's had it and was diagnosed somewhere around the ages of 4 or 5. My oldest who is 6 has a seizure disorder.

My two year old has always done this thing since about 6 mths old with his knees while laying on the ground which appears that he is humping. Everyone thinks my husband and I have done the deed in front of him, but we haven't. Some days its worse than others-sometimes he'll go a week or two without doing it. It's weird. Then a few months ago he started doing this shuddering thing (almost looks like he got a chill) when asked a question. The newest thing along with all the previous is the hard, sometimes fast, eye blinking. He doesn't talk a whole lot (knows how to), has an obsession with wearing socks on his hands, and recently has become really emotional (wants me to hold him, crys over a loud noise, & screams). Any help, suggestions, direction would be much appreciated! THANKS!

ranze11617

Asked by ranze11617 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Health

• If it weren't for his shuddering and blinking, I wouldn't be too worried. Even the humping is pretty normal for a kid his age. My daughter loves to do the socks on hands thing, too. She's also kinda clingy, wanting to be held alot. But that's typical of toddlers. If I were you, I' ask adoctor about the shudders & blinks. They may say that there could be a neurological problem. Or they may say there's nothing wrong at all.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 11:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Hibernation Diet book has healthy suggestions for a optimal brain function
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Talk to his doc! It MIGHT be schizophrenia!? But honestly with out assuming the worst talk to his peds!!! Good luck and God bless you guys!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• By the way, the lady who suggested that it could be schizophrenia is more than likely wrong. A disorder such as that manifests much later in life. The early 20's for most boys.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 11:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Have you discussed your concerns with the pediatrician? My daughter does the "humping" thing to. She gets down on all fours and then like rocks back and forth on her knees. So that her belly touches the ground and then her butt touches her knees. I have never seen it as anything concerning. The emotional thing may be age associated. He is headed into the terrible twos and some toddlers will rebel as much as possible, others will cling. You should discuss this with his pediatrician though. I am not saying there is anything wrong, but just to be safe. In fact, I could rationalize away all of these behaviors as childhood development.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I would have him checked out. The hard, fast eye movement and shudder could sign of tourettes syndrome. Look it up on the internet to get more information. I found on one site that many people actually diagnose themselves or family before the doctor.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, the humping and clinginess aren't really a concern. Most kids do those at one point or another. But the shudders and the eye blinking could be a sign of a problem. I would talk to his doc. My son still does alot of this and he is 4 (he has PDD-NOS) but when we first had him tested the results said possible Tourettes. So I would defiantely talk to his doc about it.
    -Ashley
    P.S. I'm pretty sure it's not schizophrenia. Signs for that usually don't show up until someone is old enough to hit puberty.
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 27, 2009