sleeping habits

My daughter is 7 months old and im a single mom. She has a crib and has always slept in it but she has never slept through the night.. she usually wakes up at least 3 times a night and wants to be fed. There have been a few times where i've let her sleep in bed with me and when she does she sleeps all night long. Why does she not sleep through the night in her crib but will in my bed? What should i do? I dont mind her sleeping with me once in a while because i like to snuggle with her but i dont want her in the habit of sleeping with me.

casper4991

Asked by casper4991 at 12:03 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you don't want her in the habbit, then you shouldn't do it at all! (not trying to be mean or demanding) you can break a baby's schedule in one day but it takes a week to create a schedule. Stick to one thing strictly and go with it. Babies are like puppies...if you send them mixed messages, then they won't know what to do...always do the same thing. ROUTINE. it works...pass it on. lol. hope this helps a little.
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 12:07 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Well it kind of depends on you, but personally I do not think there is anything wrong with letting her sleep with you. She will grow out of it. And honestly what is worse, her wanting to sleep with you or not sleeping. Plus if your a single mom and working, she probally just misses you and wants to be close to you.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 12:08 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i completely agree with you.. she has only slept in bed with me a few times and thats when she was really sick and needed her mommy.. but when she does she sleeps all night lol.. i dont know what to do.. i am a full time student so its nice to be able to sleep
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Well again its your choice but your baby most likely misses you and wants her mommy. Just a question but why don't you want her sleeping with you? Are you afraid of suffocating her or just believe if you let her do it now she will be doing it 5 years from now?
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 12:20 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I'd let my child sleep with me. There is plenty of time for her to learn to sleep on her own. I hold my DD's hand when she took her first steps, I coached her on her first words, I'll be there to teach her to sleep.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I've just heard that if you let your baby sleep in bed with you then they will never sleep in their own bed. I have a huge california king bed so i'm not worried about suffocating her plus im a light sleeper. I love sleeping with her she keeps me company in bed and snuggles with me which i absolutely love, plus she sleeps all night but again, im just afraid she wont want to sleep in her own bed.
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My oldest is thirteen, he slept in bed with me when he was a baby, he's certainly not still sleeping in my bed now. When the time came to have him sleep on his own (he was about three and a half) it took a little while, but it happened.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• ooohh man i feel your pain gf!!!! same situation... i dont know what to do either but its nice to know im not alone lol
    Allies.mom

Answer by Allies.mom at 3:04 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My son is 21 months & still in bed w/ DH & I. He sleeps awesome, been sleeping through the night since 8 weeks. I love him in our bed, I love it when he wakes up in the middle of the night & cuddles right next to me. I know he won't be in my bed forever. If she's sleeping so great w/ you, let her stay. There's plenty of time for her to sleep in her own bed :)
    BabyDylansMomma

Answer by BabyDylansMomma at 3:54 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Infants are creatures of instinct. And instinct tells them they're supposed to be with mommy, not separated from her. That's why she sleeps better with you.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:15 AM on Apr. 27, 2009