I have a question for all the moms from England

How in the heck does your money work over there, and by that I mean you guys have pounds, and quid (SP?), and I have heard of lots of other terms too, but my DF and I have never been able to firgure it out can someone please explain it to me ;-)

hautemama83

Asked by hautemama83 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 2 (-14 Credits)
  • I'm not from England but maybe I can help.
    England uses pounds - just like we use dollars. The pound is divided into 100 pennies just like our dollar.
    What may be confusing you in part is the slang. We have "green backs" or "bucks". They have "quids".
    Another thing that can add confusion is that before 1971, the pound was not based on 100 pennies per pound (a decimal system); there were 240 pennies in the pound. Here's the old money system:
    There were twenty (20) shillings per pound
    12 pennies per shilling
    There were also partial pennies:
    halfpennies (2 per penny) or farthings (4 per penny)
    There were also thrupeece (worth 3 pennies)
    the sixpence (6 pennies)
    the florin (2 shilling)
    as well as others - the crown, half crown, florin, guinea to name a few.

Is it any wonder they converted to a decimal system?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I believe all the European money had been converted into Euros so each country has the same currency
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:16 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• alinker...no. the
    United Kingdom is still on the Sterling. to work over there as an american citizen you need an national insurance number. where are you living/. we were stationed at RAF Mildenhall so i had to go to Bury St Edmunds (a beautiful city!!!) to apply for a national insurance number. i still have one. my kids were born there as well. thye always used pound or quid i used to only say pounds or pence. keep it simple. they also use the work Cheques instead of checks. i lived there from 2003-2006. miminum wage is based by age but is pretty high and coverts really nicely!
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 12:37 AM on Apr. 27, 2009