How can I keep my son's hemangioma from oozing & bleeding?

My son has one on his arm & the pediatrician said to clean it with soap & water & then put baby powder on it to dry it out. It has gotten worse & we have been back to the pediatrician twice with it & then we also have 2 appts scheduled with a plastic surgeon & a pediatric surgeon for a second opinion on treatment options. His elbow crease is cracked, bleeding & oozing pus but pediatrician said it wasnt infected. It is very painful for my 11 wk old son when I clean it. Any ideas??

boxermom1321

Asked by boxermom1321 at 12:44 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Do any of you other then the OP even know what this is? A hemangioma is a group of dialated blood vessels. Don't put anything on it except maybe some antibiotic ointment and a bandaid. It may not be pus that is oozing, could it be plasma? I agree with going back to the doctor or perhaps calling and getting the other appointment moved up. Speak to the advise nurse and let them know that it is oozing and you need to have it evaluated asap as you think it may be infected.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• PUT ACTIVE MANUKA HONEY ON IT LOOK FOR IT ON U TUBE
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• mrsa?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:52 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• GET A SECOND OPINION!!!! He's suffering and your doc has done nothng!? I'd hold off on any honey based products!!! Look for aveno or anything for psariasis(not correct spelling!). If you know any one with exema see if they have any cream with steroids i it!!!! Also google it for more ideas! Good luck, I'm sorry your little one is suffering like that!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 12:52 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i PUT OT ON MY BURN ONCE IT TINGLES LIKE IT IS REALLY CLEANING OUT THAT SORE TRY A LIL BIT?ACTIVE 3 OR SOMETHING? HE IS VERY YOUNG BUT IF THE MED IS NOT WORKING?

TEA TREE OIL DROPS.FOR BATHS HELP FIGHT MRSA
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:57 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Do not use honey products due to allergy possibilities, and secondly get a new doc. If it is painful and oozing, there is an issue maybe and doc should have told you something helpful...like , Band aid makes a product that contains lidacaine in it(numbs stuff) and it is painfree,It is called:Band Aid Hurt Free Antiseptic wsh, and its the best stuff ever. Totally ouchfree, so it will just feel a lil cold, but no burnoing. Jusy put some on the area and it will numb it so you can cleanm it up. Please please get a second opinion. Poor baby!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:32 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My child has eczema and i use a hydrocortizone cream on him. It works very well when he gets broken skin where his eczema is. Maybe your doctor can prescribe that for you?
    BunnySlave

Answer by BunnySlave at 11:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• also i would go see another doctor if yours doesn't seem to want to help very much.
    BunnySlave

Answer by BunnySlave at 11:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009