Christians and other monotheists: if you found out there were other gods...

...would you continue to follow YHWH and Jesus with this different understanding, or would your faith be changed with the new information? (Pretend it's revealed to you BY GOD, beyond doubt, that there are other gods, just for the sake of the question.)

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 12:54 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would continue to follow my God no matter what. He is the God of love, mercy, and joy, and I don't need any other God to give me what I need, as He is everything to me.
    Although I personally believe all Gods are just different manifestations/perceptions of the One God....
    But that's just me.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Probably not, because that would mean that YHWH would have been a liar. He has said so many times in the Bible that there are no other gods, that He is the only God. So if He told me that there really were other gods I don't know how I could trust Him.

BTW, I hate using the words liar and YHWH so close to each other. He is so holy I don't want to disrespect Him by even presuming Him to be a liar.

Good question.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:58 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• my bible says
    Exodus 20:3 NKJV
    You shall have no other gods before Me.
    so there are other god's with a little g everything you put before the one true God is your god and i would not change nothing in my walk with the Lord he has been to good to me and my family. thank you Jesus
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:59 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I agree with hinson7169 all the way!

GB
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 1:10 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• no, my faith would not be changed, for i most likely would not believe it to be God who gave this new info. if i am to stand by what i consider 'the inspired word of God', then i am to believe that God is the ''same today, yesterday, and forever..never changes''(roughly paraphrased, of course)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 1:17 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Sorry I'm not a monotheist, but I just wanted to say that I was really intrigued y your question. It's a really good question and I'm curious to see other answers that might come up. :)
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:45 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Did God say there were no other Gods or that you should have no other Gods before him?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• There are no "what ifs" there is only the Truth
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 1:52 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• besides God said there are many gods because a person can make anything into a god, food, money, sex, anything they put first in their lives......
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 3:39 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I do not think you will get many to really contemplate this question.

It has been my experience that it is acceptable/appropriate to ask/expect one to contemplate the existence of God or only one God but somehow it is not acceptable/appropriate to ask/expect one to contemplate the idea of many Gods....

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:32 AM on Apr. 27, 2009