breast feeding tips??

this is my 3rd baby. i just had her last tuesday and w my other 2 by now my milk has definately came in and were getting engorged...my milk came in yesterday and since i havent been able to get more than an ounce out of them..w my other 2, i could get up to almost 10 oz out of one boob by this time!! i pump right after i nurse to try and get more to come in, but im afraid nothings gonna happen..any tips?? thank you in advance

tnteaton

Asked by tnteaton at 1:27 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would try to pump then feed ur baby then pump again thats what i had to do with my first
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 1:29 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Pumping is never an indicator of supply, so throw that out the window. Also, it's going to be completely different with each baby, so forget about how it was with the other two, this time might be 100% different.

I wouldnt start pumping yet, you might give yourself an over-supply which can cause problems and infections like mastitis, which isnt fun. Give it a few more days, just keep feeding on demand! :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:29 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My experience with pumping is you have to keep the calories up inorder to produce milk. Pumping while engorged is possible but painful and time consuming. Hot compresses, have the baby suckle just to get the milk flowing, if hungry see what you can express after she's done. Also any milk you want to store can be placed in the freezer for up to 3 months.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:33 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Something else to keep in mind, are you keeping hydrated enough, and is your baby latching on properly?

Like the other ladies said though, each child is different, and your milk supply is going to be based on the demand your child makes.

If you're needing to relieve pressure, then try to take a hot shower and massage your breasts, expressing the milk out. Yes, it will be wasted down the drain, but it will relieve pressure, and maybe once some of the pressure's off you'll have an easier time nursing and or pumping.

Just hang in there :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:44 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i would just keep nursing, my boobs NEVER became engorged and my milk supply was pretty low at first as well. i just kept nursing and my supply now is crazy good lol.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:09 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Drink lots of water, keep nursing, get some brewers yeast tabs, be sure that you are continuing to take vitamins and eat healthy foods. Relax and have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:30 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It's normal to have only about an ounce or 2 the first few days. I wonder if you remeber correctly how much you were able to pump in the past... it usually takes a few months before you have that kind of supply.
    Even if in the past you had a huge supply, as long as you are making enough right now I wouldn't worry about it. And a newborn baby should only take about 1-2 oz at a time right now anyway.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:03 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Are you pumping for any specific reason? If it's to find out how much you are producing, a pump can't tell you that. Some women just don't respond well to a pump. Just keep nursing on demand and your body will get the message.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:27 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I agree with Krysta, why are you pumping? If you're just going to breastfeed your baby you don't need to pump to get your body to make more... it will regulate if you pump on demand. 10 oz sounds like a ton to me!! Unless you're planning on exclusively pumping for some reason, I would just feed baby from the breast, put the pump away for a few weeks and let your baby regulate your supply for you. Then if you're going to need to express some milk for going back to work later, you can start pumping after a feeding or during some long naps...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Nursing is a supply and demand type thing, the more you nurse your baby, the more milk you will make! The best indicator your baby is getting enough to drink is if he is making enough wet diapers in a day, if he is, there is no need to pump just to see how many ounces come out, a baby will ALWAYS be better at draining your breast and getting more out than a breast pump ever will.
    Your doing FINE! Just continue nursing and put the pump away, unless you REALLY need it for some reason, nursing at the breast will work just fine all by itself!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2009