Have you ever told your child to " shut the f*ck up "?

I am asking this because I was in Wal-Mart the other day and there was this lady and I'm guessing her daughter ( could've been a niece or something ). Every time the little girl who looked to be 5 would say something the woman would say " shut the f*ck up! Can't you just shut the f*ck up for 5 seconds"? I was kind of shocked. I could never talk to my son like that!

Babydoll1015

Asked by Babydoll1015 at 2:04 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• no....if thats how the parent is, how will the kid turn out?
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:06 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Wow! My kids are 16 and 15 yrs old. My dh and I both swear, and they are around a decent amount of people who do (my dh is in the military, and there is a lot of swearing in that community).

That being said, I have NEVER, in all these yrs of parenting, EVER said that to my kids! Neither has my dh!

I have told them to shut up, but like I said, they're teenagers, it's not like I was telling a 3 yr old to shut up.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:16 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My MIL said this to her sons when they were little, probably often. She cusses so much that they're kind of immune to it. I'm not saying it's healthy, definitely not (and if she said it to our kids, she'd find out) but in some families the f word is used all the time, and "shut the f*** up" is as common as "Be quiet!" or variations like "For the love of God, be QUIET!" and may not be abusive, horrible parenting by itself. Not ever listening when a child speaks, on the other hand, isn't good mothering: if you didn't want to listen to a child talking at all, you probably shouldn't have had kids.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• No, but I probably wil when they are in their 20s or older lol
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:01 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Ugh my old neighbors were like that with their little girl. She was cute as a button and sweet as they come, but they treat her like shit. Horrible people.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 7:11 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I have told my kids to shut up followed closely by an I'm sorry. I have never sworn at my kids.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:37 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I have told her to shut up all when she is crying for not reason it annoys me and I YELL "JUST SHUT UP ALREADY"
    WinterDawn

Answer by WinterDawn at 9:10 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I scream - You better ZIP it little lady! HAHA
    StormyMama

Answer by StormyMama at 9:26 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Nope - I don't even say "shut up" and I'm raising my son to not say "shut up" either - I think it's rude. When he does say it, then I tell him to ASK it properly using his manners...and he'll say, "Would you please stop talking?" Sorry, but I think saying "shut up" is just plain rude and is not tolerated in my house.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I said it to my son once when he was 20, I got so frustrated with him and his attitude.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 27, 2009