Help understanding a bible verse

I was reading the gospel of John today and I came across a verse where Jesus said: 41"I do not accept praise from men..."

I was wondering what he meant by saying this, I have read the whole chapter (chapter 5) and the next, but I was hoping someone would explain what Jesus meant by saying this.

It is John 5:41

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Are you reading the NKJ ? It says " I receive not honour from Men" Then if you read on down in 43 it says" I am come in my father's name and ye receive me not , if another shall come in his own , him ye will receive." 44 says " How can ye believe , which receive Honour on of another and not seek the honour that cometh from God only?"
    I think it's meaning , Not to Praise Him but his Father. But that's my own thoughts on this.
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 5:13 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Not Christian but found this...

Verse 41. "I do not receive glory from men;"

Jesus doesn't need any of us to tell about Him. He is just Who He Is – the Son of God, our Savior, who died for the sins of the world.
    http://www.firstchurchonthenet.org/html/john/john5.htm
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:23 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Also found this...
    John 5:41-47 - The Unbelief of the Jews

With the witness of John the Baptist, the witness of Jesus' works, the witness of the Father, and the witness of Scripture the unbelief of the Jews is a moral matter. They arrogantly refuse to believe in the face of overwhelming evidence. Jesus is not interested in gaining glory (approval) from them. After all they do not have the love of God in them. The phrase, "love of God," can be taken to mean the love that God has for them. If they did it would lead them to understand the witness of Scripture correctly. However, it is more likely that "love of God" means loving God. The Jews do not love God because if they did they would be open to His truth about Jesus.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Verse 43 returns to the language of receiving. The Jews did not receive Jesus. This echoes John 1:11. Instead of receiving Jesus who came as a delegate of the Father, the Jews would receive one of their own. The opposition to Jesus was coming from what Lindars calls a "mutual admiration society." The Jews were interested in maintaining their own position and traditions. They were seeking their own glory. As verse 44 notes this makes believing impossible. That is a point worth remembering. We are often tempted to seek our own glory. Glory belongs only to God. To seek our own moves us into unbelief.

anetrnlov

• The final verses attack Judaism at its most sensitive point. Moses was understood as the source of the Law and thus, in some significant ways, the founder of Judaism. Moses will accuse Jesus' Jewish opponents. The Law of Moses witnesses to Jesus. If Jews really put their trust in Moses, they would believe in Christ. Verse 47 raises the final question that Jews could not answer. If the Jews did not believe Moses who wrote about Jesus, how could they believe in Jesus? The answer is clear. They cannot. When we cut ourselves off from what God is saying through Scripture, we cut ourselves off from any work that God would do through Christ.
    anetrnlov

• All from http://www.crivoice.org/biblestudy/bbjohn7.html
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:37 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My NIV Study Bible says, "I do not accept praise from men." and the notes says, "Jesus did not accept human praise any more than human testimony."

I think he's taking the praise off of himself and placing it on GOD where it belongs.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:52 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• our understanding is the one anointed by God to be the King of a government that would at last give all mankind a righteous rule was/is Jesus, but the majority of the people followed their religious leaders and refused to believe him to be the promised Messiah from God. But he was no impostor. He was no self-made Messiah ambitious for glory and power. To his opposers he said: “I do not accept glory from men. . . . I have come in the name of my Father, but you do not receive me; if someone else arrived in his own name, you would receive that one.” (John 5:41-43) The speaker of those words was Jesus, a descendant of King David of Jerusalem and, hence, also a descendant of faithful Abraham, by means of whose seed all the families of the earth are to be blessed.—Gen. 12:3; 22:18; Matt. 1:1-16.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• So unlikesome : “Many even of the rulers actually put faith in him, but because of the Pharisees they would not confess him, in order not to be expelled from the synagogue; for they loved the glory of men more than even the glory of God.” (John 12:42, 43)
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 27, 2009