Early Pregnancy Cramps and Bleeding

I am 5 weeks 5 days along, this is my first pregnancy.

Since I found out I was preggers (just over a week ago) I have been having cramps on and off, but they haven't been too terrible - just dull aches, more annoying than anything else. However, yesterday morning I woke up to some seriously painful cramps that lasted for about 15 minutes. I went to the bathroom shortly after and discovered that I was bleeding (VERY lightly). I haven't experienced any cramps since, the bleeding stopped but came back again for a couple of hours and finally quit.

So, my question is: is this normal? Should I make an appointment to see my primary care doctor (my appointment with my OB/GYN isn't until June 1st)? Should I be freaking out (because I already am)?

I am taking it easy, and have literally been in bed all day and plan on staying that way for a couple more days.

Any advise or information would be helpful and much appreciated

kehmorgan

Asked by kehmorgan at 4:57 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if the bleeding is very light and only lasted on and off for two days you SHOULD be just fine..however the bad cramps scare me...if it was a miscarriage I believe you would have very extreme bleeding but it could be that you just haven't gotten there yet. I would make an appointment with the obgyn, you said you have one but call them and tell them you are cramping and such, that you are concerned and they should either schedule you earlier or put you at ease over the phone. GL new mama!! Try to stay calm I know it is hard to but you have to...:) take care
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:14 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Like she said calm down, but call. It's better to be safe than sorry!!! Bleeding and cramping could be anything but to be sure get checked. Some women bleed through out the pregnancy whereas others never bleed durring, evey pregancy is as different as the women who have them. Good luck!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 8:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2009