My 6 month old cries around most strangers to the point where he's hyperventilating. He is fine once he's in my arms again. I am being criticized by family members for spoiling him. Do you think this is my fault? I feel like I am ruining his development in some way.

snc2008

Asked by snc2008 at 6:15 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YOU CAN NOT SPOIL A BABY!
    They dont have any comprehension of what manipulating is, they are just tiny babies and crying is the ONLY way they have to communicate! They cry if they are hungry, if they are hot, if they are cold, if they are wet, if they are poopy, if they want cuddles, if they are sleepy ect ect.
    And, all they want when they are tiny is for mommy to hold and cuddle them, I cant believe how some folks expect babies to be independant creatures so soon, they spent 9 months cozy in your belly and just because they were born they are supposed to sleep in a crib several rooms away and not want to be held??? I dont get that mindset some folks have, it makes NO sense!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:33 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• At this age they have stranger anxiety. My son did this a few times. It's not your fault at all. Look it up on the Internet and give it to your family members. Most babies do have this. They also go through separation anxiety where they don't want you to even leave the room. You're not spoiling him. He's only 6 months! Don't listen to your family. You're doing fine!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• oh, for crying out loud! your parents dont know anything! first off, you cannot spoil a baby by holding him too much!!! babies are SUPPOSED to cry when a stranger picks them up!!! that's a defense mechanism. No one could hold my daughter more than a few mins hwen she was little for the same reason. even my son. that's a good thing. :) Tell your family to get over it, in polite terms, and let them know you will raise your child how you see fit. They are just upset that they can't be the ones to spoil him! Tell them he will be happy to be with them as he gets older. :)
    PA_mountainmama

Answer by PA_mountainmama at 6:48 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• my son is 5 months old, and went through the same thing for about a month. He just now is letting his grandparents hold him and me walk away. They told me the same thing too, that I was spoiling him. It upset me at first, but I don't listen to them anymore. Its just a phase, and it will pass. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Apr. 27, 2009