Need some ideas for a healthier dinner??

Trying to lose weight and get my family eat more healthy food. We are normal family we like chicken, pork chops, stew meat, hambuger meat, etc... I have done the grillin, the bakein, boiled, all the usually, I could use some new ideas. My kids are 6 and 3. I have read alot of recipes, but they call for off the wall things (stuff I never heard of) or stuff I can't afford, or can't find, so normal everyday things would be great...Thanks in advance...God Bless all the wonderful mommies:)

lynnepooh

Asked by lynnepooh at 7:53 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Health

• I find the best way to eat healthy no matter what is to eat a low-sodium diet. I love to grill meats with fruits like pineapple and cherries... Or make salads with fruits, such as mandrian oranges or cherrys,rasberries etc. Make more soup based meals, The fill you up and have less calories in them. Switch from white foods to browns foods... Like wheet bread, rice and pasta.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:09 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• well since you like pork chops i have a great recipe for you. now the meat is a little on the expensive side but it makes good left overs. Buy a pork tenderloin (unseasoned) the final price is like 7 or 8 dollars. if you have a sams club near you then they have two in a pack for 11 dollars. This is how I make it.....i clean the tenderloin and put it in a skillet as if you were going to fry it and brown it on all sides the put it in a baking dish (about a 13 x 9) 2-4 cans of lucks apples with cinnamon. pour it over the pork. then about 1/2 cup of raisins. a little brown sugar to taste. (make sure there are enough apples in there to cover the pork. this is very delicious and it is healthy for you too. hope you like it.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:33 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• start making things from stratch and stop using premade or canned stuff. They all add soduim into the products to help preserve and that makes you retain more fluid. Not saying you are but if you do that will help keep weight on.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I thot I had run out of ideas too, until I found a used copy of South Beach Diet. The recipes are really exceptional. They put a diff. spin on food by adding more flavor using herbs, balsamic vinegar and white wine. In the south we flavor with butter, gravy and mayo. So this was a complete surprise.

Try this:
    6 boneless skinless chic breast
    1/2 c cooking white wine
    2 T. olive oil
    1 T white vinegar
    2 teas basil
    1 teas oregano
    1/2 teas onion powder
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Cover chick with this and then put into the fridge all nite to marinate. OMG, its the tenderest chick you will EVER eat and the flavors go all the way thru the meat.

Cut up any veg. you like into med size chunks: mushrooms, tom., onions, squash, zuchinni sq., green pepper, etc. Pour 2 T. of low fat italian dress. and mix. Then grill in a grilling basket. Easy, breezy and tastes like summer but also low fat, low cal and ooohh so
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:01 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Grilled veggies are my family's favorite. Take fresh broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onions, asparagus, red pepper, yellow squash, (what ever you like) and put in a large roasting pan. Mix some olive oil (about 3 Tablesppons and 1 Tbls of lemon juice and drizzle over. Season with rosemary, pepper, and thyne. Roast for about 25 to 35 minutes on 425. YUM! We eat this with brown rice and grilled chicken. The veggies turn out so sweet - no butter needed and one of the healthiest dinners ever. I stir this evey so often too.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 12:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Sloppy Jojos (made with lentils), Vegetable stew with dumplings, broccoli and whole grain pasta with peanut sauce, veggie pot pie, sweet potato and black bean burritos.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2009