3 months and cant get to take his meds.

My son is 3 months and is on a med. for GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) and I cant get him to swallow the stuff! It smells hot, like peppermint... I tried to mix it with prune juice his fav. (on because of GERD too). And he knows it! My mother in law said to put alittle in his mouth at a time and plug his nose to make him swallow, he swallows alright, AFTER he spits it out! He wont feel better if he doesnt take it and you cant reason with a 3 month old :-) lol, so what can I do?

ashley_hatty

Asked by ashley_hatty at 8:03 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can try giving the meds then closing his jaw..then blow in his face...lighlty..it will cause him to swallow.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 8:14 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• if it is liquid and in a syringe, do him like a cat. put it towards the back of his tongue on the side and gently squirt a little bit at a time so he doesn't choke. it will take some practice (if you have cats I suggest practicing on them a few times first)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• What we do in the hospital...
    Squeeze his little cheeks so it give him fishy lips, put the syringe far back on the side of his cheek and give tiny squirts (take the syringe out between squirts)... after wach squirt blow a fast puff of air in his face... it causes a swallow reflex.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:44 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My DD had/has GERD and the meds she was on was awful. I would hold her down take the syringe and put it to the backof her throat and do little squeezes till it was all gone. as she got older it went easier and now she wants it and when i come to her she is excited.
    lvnmygrlz

Answer by lvnmygrlz at 4:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2009