My son is 3 1/2 and has a major obsession with fans and things that spin. He has been like this for a year, and I am not sure what to do about it. At times it's like they control him and if he can't see them he freaks out. Any suggestions, answers..anything

kiari

Asked by kiari at 8:53 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• now this may not be the case but my sister in law is a psychologist and she told me that one of the signs of autism is obsessions with things that move in a circular motion such as fans, wheels, things like that. i don't mean to scare you. like i said this may not be the problem. maybe he just really likes fans.. hope you find out soon.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:57 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My sister used to have to rock in a chair off and on during the day when we were little... Not sure why. She's 39 now and a school teacher for the past 17 yrs... I don't think you have anything to worry about, if you are concerned maybe see his pediatrician...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 8:58 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Talk to the pediatrician about it. It could be merely an obsession, but it is one of the signs of autism. Just one. That in and of itself does not mean he has it....just that it's a red flag and it might be worth while to have him evaluated.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:26 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• get him tested for aspergers
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 12:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Men are visual people...hello have you seen the obsesion with boobs lol? I would wait to borrow trouble or go looking for an Autism diagnosis, kids are plain weird. I have 5 and every one of them did bizzare things when they were little. I would wait for his next check up and just mention it to the doc and see what they say, chances are he will out grow it though. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2009