what to do????????? is this a disorder..... autism... what....

I watch a 20 month old boy since February.... when I got him he really did not talk, then he started saying things.... about 3-4 weeks ago he stopped talking and inturn started making all the grunts and moans when he wanted something. He also likes to hit, pinch and push other kids, He really likes to carry a toothbrush, hairbrush, paintbrush or anything w/bristles on it and touch it constantly....??? he also likes to make himself fall alot????

I don't know what to do or how to go about telling his mom my concerns. I have never encountered this before. please help!!

traceym1226

Asked by traceym1226 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I wouldn't say anything to mom. It would insult her. If she brings him to the Dr. regularly, then they would tell her if his behavior is not normal. I used to carry silk fabric EVERYWHERE i went until i was about 5 years old, i freaked if i didn't have it . I liked how if felt, it's normal for kids to find comfort in things. It may be a blanky, or a bear, a piece of silk fabric, or a hair brush.....kids are strange, that's why they are so wonderful.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:27 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• If your concerned you can let the mother know what he is doing to see if he does it at home as well and if she has spoken to the doctor about it. Tell her your scared he is going to hurt himself if he continues to make himself fall. As for the talking my nephew did not speak until he was 3 other than grunts and groans because his mom let him do it and she treated him like a baby. So if he is an only child and spoiled then he is doing to out of attention and to get what he wants without using his words. Work with him on saying what he wants and don't just give it to him if he points and grunts. If he wants it bad enough he will attempt to speak. As for carrying around an object its probably a comfort things to him so don't worry a lot of kids have that one special thing they need to feel secure.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:41 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• as far as him carrying around the brush.. I have never seen a child do this before, you are right, it may be comforting to him.. thank you for that info.... as far as him not talking... he used to talk and say lots of words... but lately he is going backwards and has just gone on strike by not talking at all. then he will get frustrated and hit other kids .... I am just very concerned for him and I do understand each child does develop differently.....
    should I let the mom know of my concerns or butt out????????????
    traceym1226

Answer by traceym1226 at 9:56 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Please express your concerns!!! Maybe she does't see this stuff!? Your her eyes when she's gone. The fact that you've noticed changes and certain behaviors change is enough to tell mom!!!! If she takes it the wrong way that's her personal problem not you!!! I'm saying this as a mom who would want to know! You're in the right field, and continue to show compassion and concern its needed!!! Good luck and get thick skinned.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I would tell her you are concerned that he seems to be regressing in his language skills. Let her know that you do NOT know there is a problem but are simply concerned and wanted to make sure she knew what you had observed so she could follow up with his doctor if she felt it was needed.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You should sit down and talk to her about what you are observing. She may already know and be getting help, she may not see what is happening. I for one would NOT be offended if my care giver brought it up to me. My son was with the caregiver more than me. Good luck!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• thank you all!!
    traceym1226

Answer by traceym1226 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I would let the mom know your concerns.

The brushes, hitting, and falling could be a sensory issue. Here's a website with more information http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/sensory-processing-disorder-checklist.html
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Marilyn sounds similar to this...at 4 mos she used to repeat things we said, like "I love you" and then stopped. She still doesn't really talk. She doesn't make herself fall, but she bangs her head on everything on purpose! She likes to hit, and she laughed when other kids get hurt. We're still trying to figure out what is, but the Dr said it isn't autism. They think it has something to do with her hearing, so she has a hearing test scheduled for Wednesday. We'll see...but I know she hears well. But liquid in the ears is a possibility...I'll keep you updated!
    NightMarezMommy

Answer by NightMarezMommy at 11:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2009