Is it possible to get pregnant while breastfeeding?

I am slightly embarrassed to even ask this question and I know there is much information about it online, but in anyone's personal experience have you gotten pregnant while breastfeeding every two to three hours during the day (and every four or so at night)? My husband is paranoid, but I am pretty sure that you can't get pregnant if you are breastfeeding that regularly? Again, I feel embarrassed, but I could use some feedback....

hudsonmommy

Asked by hudsonmommy at 9:31 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YEs. Breastfeeding is not birth control and anytime your having sex and a regular or irregular cycle you risk becoming pregnant. They say it makes it harder but look at the Duggar lady who is always nursing and has 18 kids. My friend got pregnant while doing it along with her mom 3 times and my sisters friend got pregnant 4 times while she was breastfeeding each of her kids. It is possible no matter how old the child is or how often you do it, your still a woman and still have hormones, eggs and all the right things to reproduce.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:33 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I did, my last 2 are 13 months apart..... I wasn't trying to prevent it but it does happen..
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 9:35 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Yes you for sure can get pregnant and plenty of people do. The chance is lower than if you weren't breastfeeding but high enough that if you don't want another baby in a year then you should use another method of protection.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Yep, you can. I got pregnant at 7 months (planned)... my daughter was sleeping through the night at that point, BUT I could have gotten pregnant much sooner because my period returned at 6 weeks post-partum. Even if you haven't seen a period yet, you still could have ovulated for the first time and gotten pregnant then. Some lucky women don't have a period for a full year... some like me get it 6 weeks pp while nursing every 2-3 hours. So use birth control!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:37 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• yup. I'm due the end of this year/beginning of next.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:39 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• agreed brailynsmama08
    there is ALWAYS a chance that you can get pregnant if you have sex.
    thats just how things are.
    i dont know the percentage or anything but it IS possible. just take a test to see.
    good luck
    =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Breast feeding does NOT stop or prevent ovulation!!! Hence if you ovulate you become pregnant. The ONLY ways to PREVENT unplanned pregnancy is birth control, condoms, and abstinence!!! Good luck and learn your body!!!! Once you learn your body and its functions you are able to understand so much more about what's going on with you!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• There is always a chance you can get pregnant. breastfeeding is not birth control. And birth control is also not 100% effective.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Of course you can!

Answer by rkoloms at 11:35 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Oh Yes! My husband is 11 months younger than his brother due entirely to this tired, worn old myth.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 27, 2009